Death of peace negotiator Erekat is a great loss for the Palestinian cause
Saeb Erekat was a fundamentally good person in a place full of hopelessness.
His death after contracting coronavirus is a personal family tragedy, of course, but the loss is much broader: the Palestinian cause has also lost one of its most energetic and dedicated public servants.
Of all the protagonists of the "two-state solution", the prominent peace negotiator was the most vocal and the most respected.
For decades he has been familiar to Middle East watchers.
In moments of violent inflection across the Holy Land, he would appear on the TV screens in interviews calling for dialogue and compromise.
Behind the scenes, though, he was the key Palestinian diplomat. Educated in California and in the UK, he became the chief negotiator and a central architect of the Oslo Peace accords.
Over that time, he made personal bonds with Israeli diplomats on the other side.
Moderate Israelis respected him and will miss his diplomatic presence.
Whenever we met, he would talk with passion about his home in Jericho and his large family. His children and grandchildren seemed to be at the heart of what motivated him: fairness, equality and peace for them.
I wonder if he was well enough in these last few days to learn that Donald Trump had lost the US election?
That would have provided him with some hope. He felt that under Mr Trump, hardline Israelis were emboldened and much damage was done in the region.
He worried that as his moderate Palestinian voice was silenced, a harder line vision would emerge.
I last spoke to him two months ago.
"Look, I was 12 years old when the occupation came to my hometown Jericho," he told me.
"I am speaking to you from the house I was born in in 1955... I am standing up with an empty chest facing Israel. I am standing tall with international law; the rule of law."
For a life and an admirable role in a region full of potential jeopardy, coronavirus seems such a cruel pointless twist.
Articles - Latest
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: WOMAN RECOUNTS AFTERLIFE ‘HIGHER INTELLIGENCE' EXPERIENCE WHEN INFANT
- JOHN LEGEND MOURNS DEATH OF HIS 'TWIN' GRANDMOTHER JUST DAYS AFTER HER BIRTHDAY
- MUMMY WITH A GOLD TONGUE FOUND IN EGYPT
- DAUGHTER OF WARSAW ZOO COUPLE WHO SAVED HUNDREDS FROM HOLOCAUST DIES AGED 77
- MARC WILMORE DEATH: THE SIMPSONS WRITER DIES AGED 57 AFTER CONTRACTING COVID
- TOM JONES' HEARTBREAKING COMMENTS ABOUT WIFE BEFORE HER SAD DEATH
- 'IT WILL ALWAYS BE HARD': STANLEY TUCCI IS STILL GRIEVING FOR HIS LATE FIRST WIFE KATE
- CICELY TYSON'S FINAL INTERVIEW AIRS DAY AFTER DEATH
- MUSICIAN SOPHIE XEON'S CAUSE OF DEATH AS STAR DIES AGED 34 FOLLOWING TRAGIC ACCIDENT
- WOMAN SPOTS HER 'DEAD' MOTHER, 89, IS ALIVE BEFORE SHE WAS CREMATED
- SONG YOO-JUNG DEATH: SOUTH KOREAN ACTOR DIES AGED 26
- JONAS GWANGWA, SOUTH AFRICAN JAZZ MUSICIAN AND ACTIVIST, DIES AGED 83
- VETERAN 'JAMES BOND' STUNTMAN RÉMY JULIENNE DIES FROM CORONAVIRUS AGED 90
- DOLLY PARTON PAYS EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE AFTER BROTHER RANDY DIES OF CANCER
- TONY AWARD-WINNING BROADWAY CHOREOGRAPHER BOB AVIAN DIES AGED 83
- DARTH VADER ACTOR DAVE PROWSE DIES AGED 85
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- BUDDHA WOULD BE GREEN': DALAI LAMA CALLS FOR URGENT CLIMATE ACTION
- DEATH OF PEACE NEGOTIATOR EREKAT IS A GREAT LOSS FOR THE PALESTINIAN CAUSE
- KEN HENSLEY, SONGWRITER WITH 70S ROCK BAND URIAH HEEP, DIES AGED 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6