The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
In 1997 Father Keating is one of the architects of the Centering Prayer movement and of Contemplat97, Father Thomas Keating became the fifth person to deliver the Harold M. Wit Lecture on living a Spiritual Life in the Contemporary Age at Harvard Divinity School. Born in New York City in 192, Father Keating entered the Cistercian Order in 1944 in Valley Falls, Rhode Island. Fourteen years later he was appointed superior of St.Benedict's Monastery in Snowmass, Colorado, and in 1961 he was elected Abbot of St. Joseph's Abbey, a large Cistercian monastery in Spencer, Massachusetts.
After two decades in Spencer, he returned in 1981 to Snossmass, where he established a program of intensive ten-day retreats in the practice that he calls Centering Prayer, a contemporary form of the Christian contemplative tradition. Father Keating is one of the architects of the Centering Prayer movement and of Contemplative Outreach, a support system for those on the contemplative pathe. He is also a former chairman of Monastiic Inter-religious Dialogue, which sponsors exchanges between monks and nuns of the world's religions; a member of the International committee for Peace Council, which foster dialogue and cooperation among world's religions; and a member of the Snowmass Interreligious Conference, a group of teachers from the world's religions who meet yearly to share their experience of the spiritual journey in their respictive traditions.
He is the author of several best-selling books on the contemplative tradition, including Open Mind Open Heart, The Mystery of Christ, Invitation to Love and Intimacy with God.
When he visited Harvard Divinity School, Father Keating delivered two lectures and led a service of Centering Prayer in the chapel of Andover Hall. In an era when the commodification of spirituality in America seems inescapable, his presence and message were genuinely inspiring and encouraging. Thus he fulfilled the desire of Harold M. Wit, who established the lecture series in 1988, to bring to Harvard "unusual individuals who radiate in their thought, word, and being those spiritual qualities and values that have been so inspiring and encouraging to me along my path."
The publication of these lectures gives me the chance once again to acknowledge with gratitude Harold Wit, a generous benefactor of Harvard Divinity School, and to thank Thomas Keating for bringing together in these lectures the Christian Contemplative tradition with insights from contemporary psychology. May his lectures serve as a guide to "true peace" sane counsel and spiritual comfort in God," in the words of The Cloud of Unknowing, the fourteenth-century English spiritual classic on which Centering Prayer is largely based.
Where are you? This is one of the great questions of all time. It is the focus of the first half of the spiritual journey. Biblical scholars and readers will remember that in Genesis 3 it is the question God asked when Adam and Eve had taken off for the underbush after their disobedience. He called out to them and said, "Adam, where are you?" They were hiding in the woods, and God was looking for them. Adam said, "We heard your voice, and were scared because we were naked." So God said, "How did you know you were naked?"
This marvellous story of creation is not just about Adam and Eve. It is really about us. It is a revelation of where we are. The same question is addressed to every generation, time, and person. At every moment of our lives God is asking us, "where are you? Why are you hiding?" all the questions that are fundamental to human happiness arise when we ask ourselves this excruciating question: Where am I? Where am I in relation to God, to myself, and to others/ These are the basic questions of human life.
Reference: The Human Condition: Ronald F Thieman
Articles - Latest
- PAUL MOONEY DEATH: ACTOR AND COMEDY WRITING PARTNER OF RICHARD PRYOR DIES, AGED 79
- PERSONALITY SINGER LLOYD PRICE DIES AT 88 FROM DIABETES COMPLICATIONS
- ZULU QUEEN: MANTFOMBI DLAMINI-ZULU BURIED AMID SUCCESSION ROW
- JIMMY RICH DEATH: AVENGERS STARS LEAD TRIBUTES TO ROBERT DOWNEY JR’S ‘RIGHT-HAND MAN’, WHO HAS DIED AT 52
- JANE MCDONALD BREAKS SILENCE FOLLOWING TRAGIC DEATH OF HER BELOVED PARTNER ED
- WOMAN WHO WAS REVIVED AFTER DROWNING EXPLAINS WHAT DYING FEELS LIKE
- ICONIC LEVIS MODEL NICK KAMEN DIES AT 59 - SIX YEARS AFTER BROTHER BARRY'S DEATH AGED 52
- TOM HICKEY DEAD: MOONE BOY ACTOR DIES WITH CHRIS O'DOWD LEADING TRIBUTES
- SOLI SORABJEE, FORMER ATTORNEY GENERAL OF INDIA, PASSES AWAY AFTER CONTRACTING COVID-19
- BODY PULLED FROM SEA IDENTIFIED AS MISSING WOMAN, 22, LAST SEEN MONTHS AGO
- TRIBUTES PAID TO ‘ANGELIC SON’ WHO DIED TRYING TO RESCUE WOMAN FROM RIVER THAMES
- FRENCH CAVERS ON FAST FORWARD AS 40-DAY UNDERGROUND ISOLATION GOES BY IN NO TIME
- I’M IN INDIA AND HORRIFIED BY THE COVID CRISIS – I NEVER THOUGHT WE’D SEE DEATH ON THIS SCALE HERE
- WOMAN, 55, DIAGNOSED WITH TERMINAL CANCER PLANS LAST-MINUTE WEDDING
- INDONESIAN SUBMARINE FOUND SPLIT IN PIECES, ALL 53 CREW DECLARED DEAD
- CELEBRITIES PAY TRIBUTE TO LATE ACTRESS HELEN MCCRORY: JK ROWLING, PIERS MORGAN & MORE
- ADAM PERKINS DEATH: VIRAL VINE STAR DIES AGED 24
- JACQUELINE JOSSA HEARTBROKEN AS SHE ANNOUNCES HER BELOVED GRANDAD HAS DIED IN LOVING TRIBUTE
- BOY, 12, DIES AFTER DOING TIKTOK BLACKOUT CHALLENGE
- AFTERLIFE: CHILDREN REMEMBER PAST LIVES CLAIMS PSYCHIATRIST
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6