Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
Sir Charles Lyell, in the "Antiquity of Man" , pointed out the parallelism which exists between the origin, growth, decline and death of languages and of species in the organic world. In order to illustrate and at the same time broaden the present argument let us extend the parallel backward to the formation of the worlds and forward to the evolution of words and concepts.
The accompanying table will serve this purpose as well as, or better then, an elaborately reasoned exposition, and will serve at the same time as a summary of the evolution argument which runs through this volume.
As regards the present thesis the conclusion to be drawn from this comparison is that words, and that therefore the constituent elements of the intellect which they represent and which we call concepts, grow by division and branching, as new species branch off from older, and it seems clear that a normal growth is encouraged and an excessive and useless development checked by the same means in the one case as in the other-that is, by natural selection and the struggle for existence.
New concepts, and words expressing them, which correspond with some external reality (whether this is a thing, an act, state, or a relation0, and which are therefore of use to man, since their existence places him in more complete relation with the outer world, on which relation his life and welfare depend, are preserved by the process of natural selection and survival of the fittest. Some again which either do not correspond at all, or only imperfectly, with an objective reality are replaced by others which do correspond or correspond better with the reality which these aimed to express, and so in the struggle for existence fall into disguise and die out.
The idiom of nomads, as Grimm says, contain an abundant wealth of manifold expressions for sword and weapons, and for the different stages in the life of cattle. In a more highly cultivated language these expressions become burthensome and superfluous. But in a peasant's mouth the bearing, calving, falling and killing of almost every animal has its own peculiar term, as the sportman delights in calling the gait members of game by different names.
Reference: Cosmic Consciousness: A study in the Evolution of the Human Mind; Richard Maurice Bucke
Articles - Latest
- Scientists launch plan to resurrect extinct woolly mammoths in the Arctic
- Home computer pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81
- X Factor singer Freddie Combs dies aged 49 from kidney failure
- Vera Fusek, actress who played the Earth President in Doctor Who – obituary
- Michael Constantine dies aged 94
- Deepwater Horizon: Oysters off the Gulf of Mexico plagued with tissue abnormalities after 2010 oil spill
- Jean-Paul Belmondo, star of Breathless, dies aged 88
- Female kickboxer, 26, died from a blow to the head at match
- Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud dies aged 39
- Daffney Unger dies aged 46 after concerning live stream
- Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
- 14 of the most dramatic scenes as floods pummel New York and tornadoes rip through New Jersey
- Firefly rocket explodes moments after first launch
- The ISS is cracked and facing ‘irreparable’ failures – and they could be about to get much worse
- Gregg Leakes dies of cancer
- Why is there so much plastic in the ocean?
- An odd kind of piety: The truth about Gandhi's sex life
- Almost a third of world’s tree species at risk of extinction
- SpaceX sends ants, avocados and robotic arm to space station
- Ed Asner dies at 91
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2