Jonas Gwangwa, South African jazz musician and activist, dies aged 83
Jonas Gwangwa, the Oscar-nominated South African jazz musician who campaigned against apartheid for decades, has died aged 83. The cause of death has not been announced.
South African president Cyril Ramaphosa led tributes, saying:
A giant of our revolutionary cultural movement and our democratic creative industries has been called to rest; the trombone that boomed with boldness and bravery, and equally warmed our hearts with mellow melody has lost its life force. Jonas Gwangwa ascends to our great orchestra of musical ancestors whose creative genius and dedication to the freedom of all South Africans inspired millions in our country and mobilised the international community against the apartheid system.
Gwangwa, a trombonist, was born in 1937 and first found fame in the 50s with the Jazz Epistles, playing alongside musicians who would become some of South Africa’s biggest jazz stars: trumpeter Hugh Masekela, pianist Abdullah Ibrahim, and saxophonist Kippie Moeketsi. In 1959, he and the Jazz Epistles recorded the first LPs by black South African jazz artists, two volumes of Jazz in Africa with visiting American pianist John Mehegan.
Following the advent of apartheid, when jazz musicians were censored in South Africa alongside a raft of other repressive measures, Gwangwa left the country and lived in exile. During the 80s he was musical director of the Amandla Cultural Ensemble, a large music and dance group organised under the African National Congress political party, who performed globally as a way of raising consciousness about the anti-apartheid movement.
In 1987, alongside English composer George Fenton, he composed the score for Cry Freedom, the drama about anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko starring Denzel Washington. He was nominated for two Oscars in 1988, for best original score and song.
He returned to South Africa in 1991, and continued to record and release music. In 1997, he composed the music for South Africa’s bid for the Olympic Games.
Reference: Guardian: Ben Beaumont-Thomas
Articles - Latest
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: WOMAN RECOUNTS AFTERLIFE ‘HIGHER INTELLIGENCE' EXPERIENCE WHEN INFANT
- JOHN LEGEND MOURNS DEATH OF HIS 'TWIN' GRANDMOTHER JUST DAYS AFTER HER BIRTHDAY
- MUMMY WITH A GOLD TONGUE FOUND IN EGYPT
- DAUGHTER OF WARSAW ZOO COUPLE WHO SAVED HUNDREDS FROM HOLOCAUST DIES AGED 77
- MARC WILMORE DEATH: THE SIMPSONS WRITER DIES AGED 57 AFTER CONTRACTING COVID
- TOM JONES' HEARTBREAKING COMMENTS ABOUT WIFE BEFORE HER SAD DEATH
- 'IT WILL ALWAYS BE HARD': STANLEY TUCCI IS STILL GRIEVING FOR HIS LATE FIRST WIFE KATE
- CICELY TYSON'S FINAL INTERVIEW AIRS DAY AFTER DEATH
- MUSICIAN SOPHIE XEON'S CAUSE OF DEATH AS STAR DIES AGED 34 FOLLOWING TRAGIC ACCIDENT
- WOMAN SPOTS HER 'DEAD' MOTHER, 89, IS ALIVE BEFORE SHE WAS CREMATED
- SONG YOO-JUNG DEATH: SOUTH KOREAN ACTOR DIES AGED 26
- JONAS GWANGWA, SOUTH AFRICAN JAZZ MUSICIAN AND ACTIVIST, DIES AGED 83
- VETERAN 'JAMES BOND' STUNTMAN RÉMY JULIENNE DIES FROM CORONAVIRUS AGED 90
- DOLLY PARTON PAYS EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE AFTER BROTHER RANDY DIES OF CANCER
- TONY AWARD-WINNING BROADWAY CHOREOGRAPHER BOB AVIAN DIES AGED 83
- DARTH VADER ACTOR DAVE PROWSE DIES AGED 85
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- BUDDHA WOULD BE GREEN': DALAI LAMA CALLS FOR URGENT CLIMATE ACTION
- DEATH OF PEACE NEGOTIATOR EREKAT IS A GREAT LOSS FOR THE PALESTINIAN CAUSE
- KEN HENSLEY, SONGWRITER WITH 70S ROCK BAND URIAH HEEP, DIES AGED 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6