Mary Ward death – Prisoner: Cell Block H actor dies aged 106
Australian stage and screen actor Mary Ward has died at the age of 106.
Ward was best known for her role as Jeanette “Mum” Brooks in the 1979-1981 prison drama Prisoner: Cell Block H (titled simply Prisoner in its native Australia).
According to her family, she died peacefully on Monday (19 July) morning at a care facility in Melbourne.
Born on 6 March, 1915, Ward studied acting in Perth and London, returning to Australia at the onset of the Second World War.
She became one of the ABC’s first female radio announcers, finding some amount of fame through her broadcasts to the Australian armed forces.
Later, she joined the Melbourne Theatre Company, appearing in several stage productions in the subsequent years.
She was also known for her work in soap operas, and appeared in projects including Sons and Daughters, Neighbours, and Young Doctors.
Ward retired from acting in 2010 at the age of 95.
Ward’s nephew Mark Breheny told TV Tonight: “She led a remarkable life and spent her final years much loved and supported by family and friends – not to mention the occasional Prisoner fan, many of whom who still wrote to her.”
“She really was very much ahead of her time in the pre-war period – an independent, career-minded woman who set off overseas on her own to make her mark. And that she surely did.”
Reference: Independent: Louis Chilton
Articles - Latest
- Slowdown of Earth's spin caused an oxygen surge
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starlink ‘plans ground station on the Isle of Man’ for blanket coverage of Britain
- Briton among two killed in 'suspected drone attack' on tanker in Arabian Sea
- Campaigners win High Court victory over Stonehenge tunnel project
- International Space Station knocked out of position as new Russian science lab malfunctions
- Human remains found are missing British hiker's, DNA test confirms
- Dusty Hill death: Tributes pour in after ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72
- One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey
- Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right
- Mike Howe death: Lead singer of Metal Church dies at 55
- Adam Thomas sobbed as he had to break the news of his dad's death to friend
- Former England seamer Mike Hendrick dies at the age of 72
- Jenny Powell reveals her father Leslie has passed away
- Joey Jordison death: Slipknot fans and music world pay tribute
- Move over Taj Mahal, these Welsh slate quarries are just as fascinating
- Partygoers bludgeon gunman to death with bricks after fatal shooting in Texas
- Ex-US Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming dies after bicycle accident
- Utah sandstorm leaves seven dead in 20-vehicle highway pile-up
- Chinese crane operator falls 160ft to her death while recording video
- Seven US counties under plague warning as experts say prairie dogs are good indicator of outbreak
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2