Leading opera director Graham Vick dies from Covid aged 67
World-renowned British opera director Graham Vick CBE has died from Covid-19 at the age of 67.
The founder of the Birmingham Opera Company passed away due to complications from the disease on Saturday, it is understood.
The opera company said in a statement: 'We are devastated to announce that today July 17, 2021 Sir Graham Vick, Artistic Director, Birmingham Opera Company died of complications arising from Covid-19.'
The maestro, from Birkenhead, first studied at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester before embarking on an illustrious career which saw him direct at major companies around the world, from the Royal Opera in London to the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
One of his earliest productions was Gustav Holst's Savitri for the Scottish Opera, where he became the director of productions in 1984 before founding the Birmingham Opera Company in 1987 and becoming its artistic director.
After making his debut at the Royal Opera in 1989, he went on to direct a string of productions there, including Mitridate, re di Ponto, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, King Arthur, The Midsummer Marriage, The Merry Widow, Falstaff and Tamerlano.
He was also director at the Glyndebourne Opera festival from 1994 to 2000.
Vick's talents saw him gain notoriety around the world, with his most acclaimed productions including Der Ring des Nibelungen at Lisbon and Palermo, Tristan und Isolde at the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Otello at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan and Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
He was made a CBE in 2009 for his contribution to opera and was later awarded Honorary Membership of the Royal Philharmonic Society in 2016.
Other honours included the Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, Honorary Professor of Music at the University of Birmingham and International Chair of Opera at the RNCM.
Reference: Laurence Dollimore For Mailonline
Articles - Latest
- Slowdown of Earth's spin caused an oxygen surge
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starlink ‘plans ground station on the Isle of Man’ for blanket coverage of Britain
- Briton among two killed in 'suspected drone attack' on tanker in Arabian Sea
- Campaigners win High Court victory over Stonehenge tunnel project
- International Space Station knocked out of position as new Russian science lab malfunctions
- Human remains found are missing British hiker's, DNA test confirms
- Dusty Hill death: Tributes pour in after ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72
- One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey
- Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right
- Mike Howe death: Lead singer of Metal Church dies at 55
- Adam Thomas sobbed as he had to break the news of his dad's death to friend
- Former England seamer Mike Hendrick dies at the age of 72
- Jenny Powell reveals her father Leslie has passed away
- Joey Jordison death: Slipknot fans and music world pay tribute
- Move over Taj Mahal, these Welsh slate quarries are just as fascinating
- Partygoers bludgeon gunman to death with bricks after fatal shooting in Texas
- Ex-US Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming dies after bicycle accident
- Utah sandstorm leaves seven dead in 20-vehicle highway pile-up
- Chinese crane operator falls 160ft to her death while recording video
- Seven US counties under plague warning as experts say prairie dogs are good indicator of outbreak
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2