Barack Obama's 'granny' and family matriarch dies in Kenyan hospital
The matriarch of former US president Barack Obama's Kenyan family has died, relatives have confirmed.
Sarah Obama was Mr Obama's step-grandmother and was being treated in hospital in Kisumu, Kenya's third largest city, when she passed away. She was at least 99 years old.
She was the second wife of Mr Obama's grandfather and helped to raise his father, Barack Obama Sr.
Mama Sarah, as she was fondly known, was a philanthropist who promoted education for girls and orphans.
In recognition of her work, she was honoured by the United Nations in 2014, receiving the inaugural Women's Entrepreneurship Day Education Pioneer Award.
Her daughter, Marsat Onyango, said she died at 4am local time at the Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral hospital. She added: "We are devastated."
Mr Obama referred to her as "granny" in his memoir, Dreams From My Father, and described meeting her during his 1988 trip to his father's homeland.
He told of their initial awkwardness as they struggled to communicate and how it developed into a warm bond.
She travelled from her small village in northwestern Kenya to attend his first inauguration as president in 2009.
Mr Obama spoke about his step-grandmother again in his September 2014 speech to the UN General Assembly.
For decades, Sarah Obama helped orphans, raising some in her home.
In a 2014 interview, she said that even as an adult, letters would arrive but she couldn't read them.
She said she didn't want her children to be illiterate, so she saw that all her family's children went to school.
She recalled taking the president's father six miles (10km) to school on the back of her bicycle every day from the family's home village of Kogelo to the bigger town of Ngiya to make sure he got the education that she never had.
"I love education," she said, because children "learn they can be self-sufficient", especially girls who too often had no opportunity to go to school.
"If a woman gets an education she will not only educate her family but educate the entire village," she said.
Sarah Obama's family is part of Kenya's Luo ethnic group.
Kisumu governor Anyang Nyong'o offered his condolences to the people of Kogelo for losing a matriarch and said she will be remembered for her work to promote education to empower orphans.
"She was a philanthropist who mobilised funds to pay school fees for the orphans," he said.
Reference: Sky News:
Articles - Latest
- PRINCE PHILIP DIED WITH THE QUEEN BY HIS SIDE AND SPENT HIS FINAL DAYS READING IN THE SUN
- PRINCE PHILIP'S COFFIN 'WILL BE MOVED WHEN QUEEN PASSES AWAY' SO THEY CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER
- PRINCE CHARLES INHERITS DUKE OF EDINBURGH TITLE FROM PRINCE PHILIP - EDWARD TO GET IT NEXT
- PRINCESS ANNE PAYS TRIBUTE TO DAD PRINCE PHILIP: 'WITHOUT HIM LIFE WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT'
- Prince Philip death: Joe Biden among world leaders paying tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- WOMAN WHO WAS REVIVED AFTER DROWNING EXPLAINS WHAT DYING FEELS LIKE
- SIR RICHARD SUTTON: ONE OF UK'S RICHEST MEN STABBED TO DEATH AT HIS HOME
- PRINCE PHILIP, THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH, HAS DIED
- CONSERVATIVE MP DAME CHERYL GILLAN DIES AFTER SUFFERING FROM LONG-TERM ILLNESS
- BRONZE AGE STONE SLAB DISCOVERED IN FRANCE IS OLDEST MAP IN EUROPE, SAY ARCHAEOLOGISTS
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: HEART ATTACK VICTIM RECOUNTS HIS EXTRAORDINARY OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE
- Procession Of The Golden Mummies
- BARACK OBAMA'S 'GRANNY' AND FAMILY MATRIARCH DIES IN KENYAN HOSPITAL
- SOUTH AFRICA’S ZULU KING GOODWILL ZWELITHINI DIES IN HOSPITAL AGE 72
- VORIAN PRIME MINISTER HAMED BAKAYOKO DIES IN GERMAN HOSPITAL AGED 56
- BILLIONAIRE OLIVIER DASSAULT DIES IN A HELICOPTER CRASH
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: WOMAN RECOUNTS AFTERLIFE ‘HIGHER INTELLIGENCE' EXPERIENCE WHEN INFANT
- JOHN LEGEND MOURNS DEATH OF HIS 'TWIN' GRANDMOTHER JUST DAYS AFTER HER BIRTHDAY
- MUMMY WITH A GOLD TONGUE FOUND IN EGYPT
- DAUGHTER OF WARSAW ZOO COUPLE WHO SAVED HUNDREDS FROM HOLOCAUST DIES AGED 77
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6