Mummy with a gold tongue found in Egypt
Archaeologists have found a 2,000-year-old mummy with a gold tongue at an ancient Egyptian site called Taposiris Magna.
Embalmers perhaps placed the golden tongue on the mummy to ensure that the deceased would be able to speak in the afterlife, the Egyptian antiquities ministry said in a statement released Jan 29.
For instance, if the golden-tongued mummy encountered Osiris, the god of the underworld, in the afterlife, they would have needed to be able to speak to the god, the statement said. It isn’t clear if the mummy had a speech impediment when they were alive. It’s also not clear why the tongue was made out of gold specifically.
The archaeologists, led by Kathleen Martinez, from the Dominican Republic, discovered the mummy in one of 16 burials at Taposiris Magna, which has temples dedicated to Osiris and Isis, a goddess who was both the wife and sister of Osiris. Previously, archaeologists found a hoard of coins decorated with the face of Cleopatra VII, suggesting the temples were in use during the queen’s reign.
The other 15 burials also date back around 2,000 years and contain remarkable treasure. In one, a female mummy is wearing a death mask that covers much of her body and depicts her with a headdress while smiling.
Two of the mummies were found with the remains of scrolls, which scholars are currently analyzing and deciphering. The plastered layers, or cartonnage, encasing one of these mummies has golden decorations of Osiris, the statement said.
The researchers also found several statues that depict the people who were buried at the site; the statues are so well preserved, you can still make out the individual’s hairstyles and headdresses, the statement said. The statues give the people a formal look, with no smiles on their faces.
Though the archaeologists aren’t sure exactly when the individuals died, they can tell that the people lived at a time when Egypt was ruled either by the Ptolemies (304 B.C. to 30 B.C.), who were the descendants of one of Alexander the Great’s generals, or by the Roman Empire, which took over the country after the death of Cleopatra VII in 30 B.C.
A team made of archaeologists from Egypt and the University of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic are conducting these excavations at Taposiris Magna. It is led by Kathleen Martinez, an archaeologist from the Dominican Republic. Excavation of the site and analysis of the remains is ongoing.
Reference: Live Science: Owen Jarus
Articles - Latest
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: WOMAN RECOUNTS AFTERLIFE ‘HIGHER INTELLIGENCE' EXPERIENCE WHEN INFANT
- JOHN LEGEND MOURNS DEATH OF HIS 'TWIN' GRANDMOTHER JUST DAYS AFTER HER BIRTHDAY
- MUMMY WITH A GOLD TONGUE FOUND IN EGYPT
- DAUGHTER OF WARSAW ZOO COUPLE WHO SAVED HUNDREDS FROM HOLOCAUST DIES AGED 77
- MARC WILMORE DEATH: THE SIMPSONS WRITER DIES AGED 57 AFTER CONTRACTING COVID
- TOM JONES' HEARTBREAKING COMMENTS ABOUT WIFE BEFORE HER SAD DEATH
- 'IT WILL ALWAYS BE HARD': STANLEY TUCCI IS STILL GRIEVING FOR HIS LATE FIRST WIFE KATE
- CICELY TYSON'S FINAL INTERVIEW AIRS DAY AFTER DEATH
- MUSICIAN SOPHIE XEON'S CAUSE OF DEATH AS STAR DIES AGED 34 FOLLOWING TRAGIC ACCIDENT
- WOMAN SPOTS HER 'DEAD' MOTHER, 89, IS ALIVE BEFORE SHE WAS CREMATED
- SONG YOO-JUNG DEATH: SOUTH KOREAN ACTOR DIES AGED 26
- JONAS GWANGWA, SOUTH AFRICAN JAZZ MUSICIAN AND ACTIVIST, DIES AGED 83
- VETERAN 'JAMES BOND' STUNTMAN RÉMY JULIENNE DIES FROM CORONAVIRUS AGED 90
- DOLLY PARTON PAYS EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE AFTER BROTHER RANDY DIES OF CANCER
- TONY AWARD-WINNING BROADWAY CHOREOGRAPHER BOB AVIAN DIES AGED 83
- DARTH VADER ACTOR DAVE PROWSE DIES AGED 85
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- BUDDHA WOULD BE GREEN': DALAI LAMA CALLS FOR URGENT CLIMATE ACTION
- DEATH OF PEACE NEGOTIATOR EREKAT IS A GREAT LOSS FOR THE PALESTINIAN CAUSE
- KEN HENSLEY, SONGWRITER WITH 70S ROCK BAND URIAH HEEP, DIES AGED 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6