Oprah Winfrey’s father Vernon Winfrey dies at 89
Oprah Winfrey’s father, Vernon Winfrey, has died at the age of 89 after a battle with cancer.
Ms Winfrey announced his death in his home city of Nashville, Tennesee, in an Instagram post.
“Yesterday with family surrounding his bedside I had the sacred honor of witnessing the man responsible for my life, take his last breath,” the media mogul wrote.
“We could feel peace enter the room at his passing. That Peace still abides. All is well. Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts.”
Ms Winfrey said the family held a "Vernon Winfrey Appreciation Celebration" at his home on 4 July with a performance from gospel singer Wintley Phipps.
“He FELT the love and revelled in it until he could no longer speak,” she said.
Mr Winfrey was a Metro Nashville Council member for 16 year and owned a barbershop in the city for more than 50 years.
Mr Winfrey was born in Greenville, Mississippi, in 1933 and later served in the US Army during the Korean War.
He and Ms Winfrey’s mother Vernita Lee reportedly spent just one night together, which resulted in the media impresario’s conception.
Ms Winfrey spent her early childhood at her father’s hometown of Kosciusko, Mississippi, and in Milwaukee with Ms Lee, who died in 2018.
She lived with her father in Nashville, between the ages of 7 and 9 and during her teens.
Ms Winfrey attributed her success to her father’s influence in an interview with the Washington Post in 1986.
“If I hadn’t been sent to my father (when I was 14), I would have gone in another direction,” she said.
“I could have made a good criminal. I would have used these same instincts differently.”
Nashville Mayor John Cooper paid tribute to the former council member.
“I offer my deepest condolences to the family of Vernon Winfrey,” Mr Cooper wrote on social media.
“Vernon served on Metro Council for 16 years, and dedicated his life to entrepreneurship, barbering and mentoring young men in the community. An Army veteran and deacon, he leaves behind a legacy of service.”
In an article on Oprah Daily, Ms Winfrey wrote that she had spent time with her father in recent weeks.
She shared the news last week that he had been battling cancer.
Reference: The Independent: Bevan Hurley
Articles - Latest
- Actor Bernard Cribbins dies aged 93
- 'Elvis' actress Shonka Dukureh (44) found dead in her home
- JayDaYoungan death: Rapper fatally shot aged 24
- Buzz Aldrin's 1969 iconic moon jacket sells for £2.3m at auction
- Husband ‘killed new wife four days after wedding and stuffed body into suitcase’
- Scientists create strange matter in which time has ‘two dimensions’
- Russia to withdraw from International Space Station
- The strange, grisly saga of Eva Perón’s corpse
- 'Trailblazer' EastEnders star Mona Hammond dies
- Tony Dow’s son says actor is ‘still alive, but in his last hours’ after managers prematurely announced death
- Qin Yi obituary
- Giant piles of Britain's unwanted clothes wash up on Ghana's beaches
- Bob Rafelson: subtle and complex director was presiding genius of the Hollywood new wave
- Godfather actor James Caan dies 82
- Landlords of flat where medical secretary, 61, lay dead for over two years made NO contact with her
- Oprah Winfrey’s father Vernon Winfrey dies at 89
- Busisiwe Lurayi dead – Netflix star dies 'suddenly' aged 36
- 'Within a few seconds all the water was pulled in' - Man dies after being sucked into swimming pool sinkhole
- Woman found decomposing at home after mental health services failed to check in on her
- Indian minister, 48, drinks dirty water from river to show locals it's safe then falls ill
- ‘He could not expel the trauma’: Sidney Nolan’s Auschwitz paintings revealed in landmark show
- Bowel cancer campaigner Dame Deborah James dies aged 40
- NASA’s Webb telescope reveals deepest ever view of early universe
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy