Bowel cancer campaigneR DAme Deborah James dies aged 40
Podcaster and bowel cancer campaigner Dame Deborah James has died at the age of 40, her family has announced.
In her final weeks, the presenter of the BBC podcast You, Me And The Big C raised millions of pounds for research and was made a dame for her “tireless” work improving awareness of the disease.
She revealed in early May that she had stopped active treatment and was receiving end-of-life care at her parents’ home in Woking, with her husband Sebastien and their two children on hand.
A statement posted by her family on Instagram said: “We are deeply saddened to announce the death of Dame Deborah James; the most amazing wife, daughter, sister, mummy. Deborah passed away peacefully today, surrounded by her family.
“Deborah, who many of you will know as Bowelbabe, was an inspiration and we are incredibly proud of her and her work and commitment to charitable campaigning, fundraising and her endless efforts to raise awareness of cancer that touched so many lives. Deborah shared her experience with the world to raise awareness, break down barriers, challenge taboos and change the conversation around cancer. Even in her most challenging moments, her determination to raise money and awareness was inspiring.
“We thank you for giving us time in private as a family, and we look forward to continuing Deborah’s legacy long into the future through the @bowelbabefund. Thank you for playing your part in her journey, you are all incredible.
“And a few final things from Deborah…’find a life worth enjoying; take risks; love deeply; have no regrets; and always, always have rebellious hope. And finally, check your poo – it could just save your life.’”
Her mother Heather, whose handle on Instagram is Bowelgran, shared a series of photos of Dame Deborah and wrote: “My heart is broken. Love you forever.”
Good Morning Britain host Charlotte Hawkins, BBC radio presenter Chris Stark and TV host Gaby Roslin were also among those paying tribute.
Stark tweeted: “Dame Deborah James.
“You inspired so many and did everything to the fullest. No one can do more than that. I hope we can have a gin wherever this all leads.
“Thinking of your family and friends and everyone that is going through similar. Rest in Peace Debs x”
The former deputy headteacher was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2016 and subsequently kept her nearly one million Instagram followers up to date with her treatments.
Her candid posts about her progress and diagnosis, including videos of her dancing her way through treatment, won praise from the public and media alike.
Alongside Lauren Mahon and Rachael Bland, she launched the You, Me And The Big C podcast in 2018.
The trio, who were all former or current cancer patients, candidly discussed life with, treatment of and other topics relating to cancer.
Bland died in September that year at the age of 40, two years after being diagnosed with breast cancer.
Dame Deborah announced in early May 2022 that she was receiving end-of-life care at home.
“The tweet I never wanted to write,” she said on Twitter.
“The time has come to say goodbye. 5 years to prepare, doesn’t make it any easy.”
After making the announcement, she set up the Bowelbabe Fund, which raised more than £6 million – more than 24 times her original target of £250,000.
For her efforts, she was made a dame, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson saying: “If ever an honour was richly deserved, this is it.”
Dame Deborah later said she felt “honoured and shocked” to even be considered for the honour.
In another surprise, her damehood was conferred by the the Duke of Cambridge, who joined her family for afternoon tea and champagne at home.
Damehoods are usually handed out by members of the royal family, including William, at investiture ceremonies which take place at royal palaces including Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.
She also revealed that she had completed her second book, titled How To Live When You Could Be Dead, due to be published on August 18.
Her first book, F*** You Cancer: How To Face The Big C, Live Your Life And Still Be Yourself, was published in 2018.
Reference: Express and Star:
Articles - Latest
- Actor Bernard Cribbins dies aged 93
- 'Elvis' actress Shonka Dukureh (44) found dead in her home
- JayDaYoungan death: Rapper fatally shot aged 24
- Buzz Aldrin's 1969 iconic moon jacket sells for £2.3m at auction
- Husband ‘killed new wife four days after wedding and stuffed body into suitcase’
- Scientists create strange matter in which time has ‘two dimensions’
- Russia to withdraw from International Space Station
- The strange, grisly saga of Eva Perón’s corpse
- 'Trailblazer' EastEnders star Mona Hammond dies
- Tony Dow’s son says actor is ‘still alive, but in his last hours’ after managers prematurely announced death
- Qin Yi obituary
- Giant piles of Britain's unwanted clothes wash up on Ghana's beaches
- Bob Rafelson: subtle and complex director was presiding genius of the Hollywood new wave
- Godfather actor James Caan dies 82
- Landlords of flat where medical secretary, 61, lay dead for over two years made NO contact with her
- Oprah Winfrey’s father Vernon Winfrey dies at 89
- Busisiwe Lurayi dead – Netflix star dies 'suddenly' aged 36
- 'Within a few seconds all the water was pulled in' - Man dies after being sucked into swimming pool sinkhole
- Woman found decomposing at home after mental health services failed to check in on her
- Indian minister, 48, drinks dirty water from river to show locals it's safe then falls ill
- ‘He could not expel the trauma’: Sidney Nolan’s Auschwitz paintings revealed in landmark show
- Bowel cancer campaigner Dame Deborah James dies aged 40
- NASA’s Webb telescope reveals deepest ever view of early universe
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy