Mark Davies dead: Former Swansea player dies on pitch after playing in veterans' match
A former Swansea City player has sadly passed away whilst taking part in a veterans' game over the weekend.
Mark Davies was in action for Llanelli on Sunday in their Wales veterans over-45s' cup final against Penybont when he died. Mr Davies, who was aged 49, had previously been a professional for Swansea City and had featured in their European Cup Winners' Cup tie against Monaco back in 1991.
Llanelli Town wrote on Twitter : "It devastates us to announce the untimely death of our Veterans, Reserve team Player and Friend Mr Mark Davies.
"Our heartfelt condolences and thoughts go to Marks' Family at this sad time. Sadly, Mark passed away playing the game that he loved and graced for many years in this area. Mark also played for many years for Dafen AFC and our thoughts also go to his friends there.
"Mark will be greatly missed by everyone that knew him. Mark was a truly lovely guy a a gentleman on and off the field."
A club spokesperson from the Swans said: "Swansea City is saddened to learn of the passing of Mark Davies. Our thoughts and condolences are with Mark's family and friends at this sad time."
A spokesperson for South Wales Police said: "Shortly after 3.40pm on Sunday, May 15, emergency services responded to a call following a report that a man had collapsed near Lawrenny Avenue in Canton. The 49-year-old man was playing football. Police Community Support Officers and paramedics were at scene and commenced CPR. However, despite their efforts, the man was declared deceased. HM Coroner has been informed."
Davies was a member of Swansea's West Wales Senior Cup-winning squad before signing a professional contract in July 1991. A defender, he made his Swans' debut against Monaco in a European Cup Winners' Cup tie in August 1991 and would feature in the second leg of the tie, which saw Swansea hammered 8-0 by a Monaco side managed by future Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
Davies made a solitary league appearance for Swansea before joining non-league side Merthyr Tydfil a year later. According to Swansea's club website, he then had to "give up football because of a medical condition, briefly resuming with Llanelli".
Davies would go on to play for Dafen, who also issued a poignant statement. It said: "Tragic, desperate news with Mark Davies' sudden passing. Our thoughts are with Mark's children, friends and family. He was a massive force within our club in his time here. A captain, a leader. Our captain, our leader. Most importantly a really nice guy and a friend. He was a Swan, then became a Dafen Bluebird."
Davies later represented Llanelli's veterans side, who were playing against Penybont in their cup final at the Cardiff House of Sport in Leckwith when he sadly died.
A statement from the venue read: "Everyone at Cardiff City House of Sport is saddened to learn about the passing of Llanelli Veterans player Mark Davies during the Wales Veterans Cup final at Leckwith yesterday. We offer our sincere condolences to Mark's family, friends and everyone at the club."
Reference: Ricky Charlesworth
Articles - Latest
- Could vertical farms be the answer to ending soft fruit and herb imports to UK? Saphora Smith - 8 Jun
- The 'strange' shipwreck on the Yorkshire coast only visible at low tide
- At least 49 dead and more than 100 injured after huge fire causes multiple blasts at container depot 5 Jun
- Kelly Joe Phelps, blues and country musician, dies aged 62
- A tribute to John Obi Mikel, Nigeria creator turned Chelsea water carrier
- OM MANI PADME HUM - BEAUTIFUL VERSION
- What are coronal mass ejections?
- Porridge actress Patricia Brake dies aged 79 after ‘long battle with cancer’
- Jim Parks, former England wicketkeeper, dies aged 90
- Alan White, drummer with prog rock band Yes, dies aged 72
- Mail journalist Barry Edwards dies of rare cancer aged 72 Daily Mail Reporter 4 days ago
- George Pérez obituaryGeorge Pérez obituary
- Lester Piggott: Britain's most famous jockey dies aged 86
- Marion Barber death: Former Dallas Cowboys player found dead, aged 38
- Blue-whale-size asteroid to screech past Earth in close encounter on June 6
- 2,100-year-old burial of woman lying on bronze 'mermaid bed' unearthed in Greece
- Bo Hopkins obituary
- Andy Fletcher obituary
- Goodfellas actor Ray Liotta dies aged 67 as he shoots new film in Caribbean
- Rock and roll legend Ronnie Hawkins dies aged 87
- As The World Turns’ star Marnie Schulenburg has died, aged 37
- Vangelis, composer of Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner soundtracks, dies aged 79
- Shivkumar Sharma obituary
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy