Treasure hunters think they've found £200,000,000 in Nazi gold under SS brothel
Provided by Metro The stash was hidden under orders of the SS towards the end of World War II (Picture: Stuart Dowell / Silesian Bridge Foundation)
A team of treasure hunters believe they’ve found a huge stash of looted gold and valuables underneath a palace used as a brothel by Hitler’s SS.
They have uncovered a mysterious metal canister buried 10ft below the surface in the village of Minkowskie in southern Poland.
It is thought to contain the so-called ‘Gold of Breslau’, which went missing from police headquarters from what is now the Polish city of Wrocław.
The loot was stolen towards the end of the war under the orders of SS head Heinrich Himmler to help set up a Fourth Reich.
The four tonne stash is also thought to include jewellery and valuables from wealthy Germans who lived in the area.
Nazi henchmen were believed to have seized the treasure to stop Russia’s Red Army from taking it as they advanced.
The discovery at the 18th century palace was made by investigator Roman Furmaniak and his team, from the Silesian Bridge Foundation.
The team, who had been searching the site for a year, managed to find the stash’s location after getting hold of secret documents, a map, and a diary and letter from an SS officer.
Descendants of SS members, who belong to a secretive Christian lodge dating back over 1,000 years, provided the cache of clues in a bid to make amends for Nazi plundering.
Last year Mr Furmaniak said: ‘We are described everywhere as treasure hunters. In fact we want nothing for ourselves.
‘The goal of the Quedlinburg Lodge and therefore the foundation is to hand these deposits over to their rightful owners in the interests of world heritage and as an act of atonement for the Second World War.’
The discovery was made after a geo-radar search of an abandoned conservatory in the grounds showed ‘anomalies’ – as metal shows up on the images in a darker colour to earth.
Now the Silesian Bridge Foundation is waiting for permission to raise the canister to the surface, MailOnline reports.
It is feared the site could have been booby trapped, so the Polish army will have to make sure it is safe first, which could take months.
Among the collection of documents used by the team was a letter from a senior SS officer to his lover, who worked at the palace.
He wrote: ‘My dear Inge, I will fulfil my assignment, with God’s will. Some transports were successful. The remaining 48 heavy Reichsbank’s chests and all the family chests I hereby entrust to you.
‘Only you know where they are located. May God help you and help me, fulfil my assignment.’
It describes one cache as containing 47 high value artworks stolen from collections in France. The loot is thought to contain works by Botticelli, Rubens, Cezanne, Carravagio, Monet, Dürer, Rafael and Rembrandt.
Mr Furmaniak said several people hid the deposits in Minkowskie, including an officer named von Stein.
‘He used to stay in the palace because he had a lover there. Due to its location it was often visited by high-ranking SS officers who treated it like a brothel,’ he added.
After Inge was entrusted to keep an eye on the hiding spot, Mr Furmaniak says she had to hide from the Russians in a forest for two months in 1945. But when she returned, the area had not been disturbed.
The foundation also hopes to search another 10 sites across Lower Silesia identified in pages of the SS officer’s diary, where even more treasure could be uncovered.
Another stash at the palace supposedly contains religious objects gathered by Himmler’s Ahnenerbe.
The Nazi Germany think tank raided sacred items from around the world in an attempt to find evidence for and justify Hitler’s racial theories.
When the war ended, the region was handed from Germany to a newly Soviet-controlled Poland.
The German population was kicked out, and Poles who had been living in western Ukraine settled there.
Inge ended up changing her appearance and identity and married a local man in order to keep a low profile. She continued to watch over the hidden treasure until her death 60 years later.
Reference: Metro: James Hockaday
Articles - Latest
- Mark Davies dead: Former Swansea player dies on pitch after playing in veterans' match
- Israeli peace negotiator Uri Savir dies aged 69
- Former Australia all-rounder Symonds dies aged 46
- King Herod the Great bathed in locally made calcite-alabaster bathtubs
- DNA recovery attempt begins on last American slave ship
- UAE’s long-ailing leader Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed has died aged 73
- ACTOR FRED WARD HAS DIED, AGED 79
- Bruce MacVittie dead – The Sopranos and Law & Order star dies aged 65
- UN humanitarian official wants attention on drought in Kenya
- Israeli security forces attack mourners at Al Jazeera journalist's funeral causing them to almost drop coffin
- Ian Thorpe’s ex-boyfriend Ryan Channing dies suddenly in Bali
- Tributes paid to 'funny, kind, and caring' Cardiff priest Father Christopher Delaney
- Hall of Famer Bob Lanier passes away at 73
- Treasure hunters think they've found £200,000,000 in Nazi gold under SS brothel
- Robin Parkinson death: ’Allo! ’Allo! star and Button Moon narrator dies aged 92
- Scientists grow plants in soil from the moon for the first time
- Royal Family: The other Princess Charlotte who should have been Queen but died giving birth at the age of 21
- Former Michigan State F Adreian Payne dead at 31
- The Upcoming Mercury Retrograde Is Going To Cause Some Chaos
- Kang Soo-yeon death: Veteran Korean actor dies at 55 after suffering cardiac arrest
- 'More human remains' found in drought-hit lake near Las Vegas after body in barrel discovered
- Growing African mangrove forests aim to combat climate woes
- Jewell Caples dead at 53
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy