'More human remains' found in drought-hit lake near Las Vegas after body in barrel discovered
More human remains are reported to have been found at drought-hit Lake Mead near Las Vegas - a week after a body in a barrel was discovered, which police believe may be linked to the Mafia.
Reuters Water levels have declined to dramatic lows at Lake Mead in the US. File pic
Park rangers received a report that "human skeletal remains" had been found on Saturday at the reservoir, which is facing record-low water levels.
It comes a week after a barrel containing the body of a man who had been shot was revealed on a newly-exposed section of Lake Mead.
Police said the killing was thought to have happened between the mid-1970s and the early 1980s because the victim was wearing shoes manufactured during that period.
Investigators are considering whether the death may have been Mafia-related, homicide detective Lieutenant Ray Spencer told the New York Times.
At the time of the discovery, Lt Spencer said there was "a very good chance" that more human remains would be discovered.
In a statement, Lake Mead National Recreation Area said the latest find was reported at Callville Bay at about 2pm local time on Saturday.
Park rangers are at the scene to recover the remains and a coroner's office has been contacted to determine the cause of death.
'Reward' offered for bodies found
It has been reported that two retired police officers in Las Vegas are offering a reward for those who find bodies at Lake Mead.
Retired officers David Kohlmeier and Daniel Minor are offering $5,000 to divers who find any remaining bodies, according to Fox5 Las Vegas.
"We do believe there are others out there," Mr Kohlmeier told the broadcaster.
"We believe there are cold cases that are out there or missing people in general. Since the water is so low right now there's a chance in history to recover bodies."
Reuters The Hoover Dam seen from Lake Mead
The officers work for a TV programme called The Problem Solver Show, which is offering the reward in an effort to bring closure to victims' families and to help police, Fox5 Las Vegas reported.
Lake Mead, formed by the Hoover Dam in the 1930s, and Lake Powell, upstream, are part of a system that provides water to more than 40 million people in several states including Arizona, California, Colorado and Nevada.
Reference: Sky News: David Mercer, news reporter
Articles - Latest
- Mark Davies dead: Former Swansea player dies on pitch after playing in veterans' match
- Israeli peace negotiator Uri Savir dies aged 69
- Former Australia all-rounder Symonds dies aged 46
- King Herod the Great bathed in locally made calcite-alabaster bathtubs
- DNA recovery attempt begins on last American slave ship
- UAE’s long-ailing leader Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed has died aged 73
- ACTOR FRED WARD HAS DIED, AGED 79
- Bruce MacVittie dead – The Sopranos and Law & Order star dies aged 65
- UN humanitarian official wants attention on drought in Kenya
- Israeli security forces attack mourners at Al Jazeera journalist's funeral causing them to almost drop coffin
- Ian Thorpe’s ex-boyfriend Ryan Channing dies suddenly in Bali
- Tributes paid to 'funny, kind, and caring' Cardiff priest Father Christopher Delaney
- Hall of Famer Bob Lanier passes away at 73
- Treasure hunters think they've found £200,000,000 in Nazi gold under SS brothel
- Robin Parkinson death: ’Allo! ’Allo! star and Button Moon narrator dies aged 92
- Scientists grow plants in soil from the moon for the first time
- Royal Family: The other Princess Charlotte who should have been Queen but died giving birth at the age of 21
- Former Michigan State F Adreian Payne dead at 31
- The Upcoming Mercury Retrograde Is Going To Cause Some Chaos
- Kang Soo-yeon death: Veteran Korean actor dies at 55 after suffering cardiac arrest
- 'More human remains' found in drought-hit lake near Las Vegas after body in barrel discovered
- Growing African mangrove forests aim to combat climate woes
- Jewell Caples dead at 53
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy