Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
The filmmaker passed away of natural causes on Thursday morning, his daughter Antonia Bogdanovich confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.
After starting his career as a film critic, Bogdanovich cemented his status as a talented director with the 1971 coming-of-age drama The Last Picture Show, which featured Timothy Bottoms, Jeff Bridges, Ben Johnson, Ellen Burstyn, Cloris Leachman, and Cybill Shepherd.
The film was a critical and commercial success, garnering eight Oscar nominations, including Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.
He went on to helm hits such as 1972's What's Up, Doc? starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal, 1973's Paper Moon, and 1985's Mask. As an actor, Bogdanovich was known for his role as Dr. Elliot Kupferberg in the HBO series The Sopranos.
Provided by Cover Media Peter Bogdanovich
Following the news, a number of Bogdanovich's friends and fans have paid tribute.
Francis Ford Coppola, with whom the New York native formed The Directors company, told Deadline he was "devastated".
"He was a wonderful and great artist. I'll never forget attending a premiere for The Last Picture Show. I remember at its end, the audience leaped up all around me bursting into applause lasting easily 15 minutes," he stated. "I'll never forget although I felt I had never myself experienced a reaction like that, that Peter and his film deserved it. May he sleep in bliss for eternity, enjoying the thrill of our applause forever."
While in a Twitter message, Guillermo del Toro praised Bogdanovich's legacy.
"He was a dear friend and a champion of Cinema. He birthed masterpieces as a director and was a most genial human. He single-handedly interviewed and enshrined the lives and work of more classic filmmakers than almost anyone else in his generation," he added.
Reference: Cover News:
Articles - Latest
- Actor Bernard Cribbins dies aged 93
- 'Elvis' actress Shonka Dukureh (44) found dead in her home
- JayDaYoungan death: Rapper fatally shot aged 24
- Buzz Aldrin's 1969 iconic moon jacket sells for £2.3m at auction
- Husband ‘killed new wife four days after wedding and stuffed body into suitcase’
- Scientists create strange matter in which time has ‘two dimensions’
- Russia to withdraw from International Space Station
- The strange, grisly saga of Eva Perón’s corpse
- 'Trailblazer' EastEnders star Mona Hammond dies
- Tony Dow’s son says actor is ‘still alive, but in his last hours’ after managers prematurely announced death
- Qin Yi obituary
- Giant piles of Britain's unwanted clothes wash up on Ghana's beaches
- Bob Rafelson: subtle and complex director was presiding genius of the Hollywood new wave
- Godfather actor James Caan dies 82
- Landlords of flat where medical secretary, 61, lay dead for over two years made NO contact with her
- Oprah Winfrey’s father Vernon Winfrey dies at 89
- Busisiwe Lurayi dead – Netflix star dies 'suddenly' aged 36
- 'Within a few seconds all the water was pulled in' - Man dies after being sucked into swimming pool sinkhole
- Woman found decomposing at home after mental health services failed to check in on her
- Indian minister, 48, drinks dirty water from river to show locals it's safe then falls ill
- ‘He could not expel the trauma’: Sidney Nolan’s Auschwitz paintings revealed in landmark show
- Bowel cancer campaigner Dame Deborah James dies aged 40
- NASA’s Webb telescope reveals deepest ever view of early universe
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy