Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
Tributes were paid last night to a former head of the Royal Marines who has died suddenly.
Highly decorated Major General Matthew Holmes CBE served in all the UK's recent conflicts and was one of Britain's most senior military officers.
He served as Commandant General Royal Marines from 2019 until April this year.
The 54-year-old, who died on Saturday, also won one of this country's most prestigious gallantry awards, the Distinguished Service Order, for his leadership on the frontline in Afghanistan in 2007.
The Ministry of Defence confirmed last night that the circumstances of his death were being investigated - but they are not thought to have been suspicious.
However, it is understood that he took his own life, the Telegraph reported.
A spokesman said: 'Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends at this difficult time and they have our deepest and heartfelt condolences. We request that their privacy is respected at this time.'
Major General Holmes had a distinguished career, which included operational tours in Northern Ireland, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan.
He commanded 42 Commando Royal Marines from 2006 to 2008 and was appointed as a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order for his leadership on operations in Afghanistan in 2007.
He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2019.
First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Tony Radakin KCB ADC, said: 'I am deeply saddened to hear about the tragic death of Matt Holmes.
'We mourn the loss of one of our most senior and highly decorated Royal Marines; a devoted former Commandant General who had served the nation, the Royal Navy and his beloved Corps with distinction for 33 years.
'Matt was also a dear friend to many, and a close friend of mine for over 20 years. He will be sorely missed by the Service and especially the Corps Family.
'But my thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathy are with Matt's family. Their loss is the greatest and most painful: we will be there for them now and always.'
Commandant General Royal Marines, Lieutenant General Rob Magowan CB CBE, said: 'My predecessor as Commandant General Royal Marines and my friend, Matt Holmes, tragically died at the weekend. My heart goes out to him and his family.
'We will honour him and all those closest to him. But I also think of you all.
'It matters not that he was a General, but it does that he is a Royal Marine. I remember and celebrate him, alongside all those who he is with now.
'We are one family, together, just as we learned, and as we trained, alongside each other at the Commando Training Centre. Once a marine, always a marine.'
Reference: Harry Howard For Mailonline
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2