‘Not good to breathe in!' La Palma volcano erupts again with dangerous gas plume
The new eruptions have raised concerns over toxic gasses, after two new vents in the earth were opened by the Cumbre Vieja volcano. Thousands of residents have been told to remain indoors as the air quality worsens.
The lava from the eruption in September has created a pyramid shape which is more than 150ft high in the sea.
A new lockdown has been implemented affecting around 3,500 people.
Emergency services said in a statement: "The new lockdown is as a consequence of the meteorological conditions that prevent the dispersion of gases and keep them at low levels of the atmosphere."
When lava mixes with the ocean, it creates a gas plume which can cause eye, lung and skin irritation if people get close to it.
Dr Robin George Andrews spoke to the BBC, he said: "It creates a steam of hydrochloric acid, water vapour and bits of ash."
"Obviously, it's not good to breathe in."
The Cumbre Vieja volcano on the island of La Palma initially erupted on September 19.
The eruption in September destroyed many houses and resulted in 6,000 people being evacuated from their homes. On September 28, the lava reached the sea and clouds of white steam could be seen as it made contact with the water.
Last week the Spanish government declared the island a disaster zone.
The rivers of molten rock have a temperature exceeding 1,000 degrees Celsius.
Also, around 15 percent of the banana crops may have been entirely destroyed, putting thousands of jobs at risk.
According to Spanish property portal Idealista the damage is currently around €178million.
On Tuesday the Canary Island Volcanology Institute said the volcano had spewed out more than 46 million cubic metres of molten rock.
The eruptions are the islands' first in 50 years.
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2