Greenland suspends oil exploration because of climate change
The government of Greenland has suspended all oil exploration off the world’s largest island, calling it is “a natural step” because it “takes the climate crisis seriously”.
No oil has been found yet around Greenland, but officials there had seen potentially vast reserves as a way to help Greenlanders realise their long-held dream of independence from Denmark by cutting the annual subsidy of 3.4 billion kroner (£390 million) the territory receives.
Global warming means retreating ice could uncover potential oil and mineral resources which could dramatically change the fortunes of the semi-autonomous territory of 57,000 people.
“The future does not lie in oil. The future belongs to renewable energy, and in that respect we have much more to gain,” the Greenland government said in a statement, adding that it “wants to take co-responsibility for combating the global climate crisis”.
The decision was made on June 24 but was made public on Thursday.
The US Geological Survey estimates there could be 17.5 billion undiscovered barrels of oil and 148 trillion cubic feet of natural gas off Greenland, although the island’s remote location and harsh weather have limited exploration.
The current government has been led by the Inuit Ataqatigiit party since April’s parliamentary election, and it immediately began to deliver on election promises and stopped plans for uranium mining in southern Greenland.
Greenland still has four active hydrocarbon exploration licences, which it is obliged to maintain as long as the licensees are actively exploring. They are held by two small companies.
The government’s decision to stop oil exploration was welcomed by environmental group Greenpeace, which called the decision ”fantastic”.
“And my understanding is that the licences that are left have very limited potential,” said Mads Flarup Christensen, Greenpeace Nordic’s general secretary.
Denmark decides foreign, defence and security policy, and supports Greenland with the annual grant that accounts for about two-thirds of the Arctic island’s economy.
Articles - Latest
- Slowdown of Earth's spin caused an oxygen surge
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starlink ‘plans ground station on the Isle of Man’ for blanket coverage of Britain
- Briton among two killed in 'suspected drone attack' on tanker in Arabian Sea
- Campaigners win High Court victory over Stonehenge tunnel project
- International Space Station knocked out of position as new Russian science lab malfunctions
- Human remains found are missing British hiker's, DNA test confirms
- Dusty Hill death: Tributes pour in after ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72
- One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey
- Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right
- Mike Howe death: Lead singer of Metal Church dies at 55
- Adam Thomas sobbed as he had to break the news of his dad's death to friend
- Former England seamer Mike Hendrick dies at the age of 72
- Jenny Powell reveals her father Leslie has passed away
- Joey Jordison death: Slipknot fans and music world pay tribute
- Move over Taj Mahal, these Welsh slate quarries are just as fascinating
- Partygoers bludgeon gunman to death with bricks after fatal shooting in Texas
- Ex-US Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming dies after bicycle accident
- Utah sandstorm leaves seven dead in 20-vehicle highway pile-up
- Chinese crane operator falls 160ft to her death while recording video
- Seven US counties under plague warning as experts say prairie dogs are good indicator of outbreak
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2