Teen in space! Dutch student to be youngest person to ever to leave earth's atmosphere
Oliver Daemen will join Bezos, the tycoon's brother Mark and veteran aviator Wally Funk on the New Shepard mission to space when it blasts off from Texas on Tuesday.
Funk, who was one of 13 women to take part in NASA spaceflight training in the 1960s only to be denied actual missions, will become the oldest person in space on next week's flight.
The original winner of the auction to secure the fourth spot in the capsule has bailed on the first mission because of a scheduling conflict. The anonymous bidder paid $28 million.
It is believed Daeman's millionaire father Joes had secured a place on the second planned flight in the auction but offered his seat to his son when the place became available on the first flight.
The teenager, who graduated from high school last year and is due to study physics at the University of Utrecht, says the flight will fulfil a lifelong dream.
Bezos's flight will come nine days after he was beaten into space by his rival billionaire Richard Branson. The Virgin tycoon completed a successful return journey on Sunday, 17 years after he began his quest to take passengers into space.
But it is likely to be next year before any of the hundreds of people who have paid up to £250,000 for a ride with Virgin Galactic will actually get to make the journey.
Taking a paying passenger up is a landmark moment for Bezos's Blue Origin.
Unlike Branson's aircraft-launched spaceship, Bezos's New Shepard will blast off as a more traditional rocket-and-capsule launch.
Those aboard will experience the weightlessness of zero gravity for a few minutes at a height of 62 miles above the earth's surface, higher than the 53 miles reached by Virgin Galactic. Where Branson had two pilots aboard, there will be no crew on New Shepard as the entire operation is automated.
Branson, Bezos and SpaceX founder Elon Musk have been engaged for years in a billionaire's battle to win the space tourism race. Musk was in New Mexico to witness Branson's flight and the three continue to believe there is a huge market among those wanting to fly to space.
Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic received approval from the US Federal Aviation Administration to carry passengers into space and Branson and Bezos know this is a key moment in reassuring customers they can safely complete missions. Musk has not yet confirmed if he will take a seat on a SpaceX trip.
Bezos, who has talked of creating space colonies to house trillions of people, knows the world will be watching his launch from the tiny town of Van Horn in Texas.
His New Shepard craft is named in honour of Alan Shepard, the first American to travel into space, and the launch will take place on the 53rd anniversary of the first moon landing.
Reference: Sky News: Greg Milam, US correspondent
Articles - Latest
- Slowdown of Earth's spin caused an oxygen surge
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starlink ‘plans ground station on the Isle of Man’ for blanket coverage of Britain
- Briton among two killed in 'suspected drone attack' on tanker in Arabian Sea
- Campaigners win High Court victory over Stonehenge tunnel project
- International Space Station knocked out of position as new Russian science lab malfunctions
- Human remains found are missing British hiker's, DNA test confirms
- Dusty Hill death: Tributes pour in after ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72
- One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey
- Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right
- Mike Howe death: Lead singer of Metal Church dies at 55
- Adam Thomas sobbed as he had to break the news of his dad's death to friend
- Former England seamer Mike Hendrick dies at the age of 72
- Jenny Powell reveals her father Leslie has passed away
- Joey Jordison death: Slipknot fans and music world pay tribute
- Move over Taj Mahal, these Welsh slate quarries are just as fascinating
- Partygoers bludgeon gunman to death with bricks after fatal shooting in Texas
- Ex-US Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming dies after bicycle accident
- Utah sandstorm leaves seven dead in 20-vehicle highway pile-up
- Chinese crane operator falls 160ft to her death while recording video
- Seven US counties under plague warning as experts say prairie dogs are good indicator of outbreak
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2