The Kagyu lineage of Buddhist Practice- Guru and Empowerment-Milarepa
In tantric practice the relationship with an experienced and qualified guru (Tib, lama) is of special importance. It is he who guides us to the correct path and serves as a pivotal point in opening our minds to the reality of ourselves and our world.
- The holy lama is the embodiment of all buddha
His voice expresses the inexpressible
His mind is the directionless sunlight of method and wisdom.
One who realizes that all actions
Of a (true) lama's body, speech, and mind-Farming, stealing, even killing-are virtuous,
Who sees them in particular as a buddha's acts.
Is the best disciple for practicing the profound path.
But not every lama is a true teacher and not every student a worthy vessel of Dharma. The statement above applies only to advanced tantric students in a long-standing relationship with a guru. Even a qualified lama and a good student might find their relationship unproductive due to elements in their personal makeup. The relationship must provide the situations for the initial analysis of the student's actions and motivations and be capable of inducting the subtle, penetrating revelations in the course of development.
The lama must also be able to perform the rites of empowerment effectively in order to open the disciple to successful tantric practice. As Milarepa explains, " empowerment" means "conferral of ability." Empowerment only gives the initiate a glimpse of the import of the practice, he must still cultivate skill in is performance and actual realization. The course of Mila's initiation by the four tantric empowerments, and his motivation, are recounted in the second of the "Six Secret Songs":
- I'm now Milarepa, but i'm certain
This body of leisure and opportunity will be spent.
This canyon on samsara is a vast abyss
And I fear the narrow track of birth and death.
- When I think that this wandering in samsara,
Lasts till the forces of action and effect are stilled,
I Know it's time to end this illusion of ego.
- And how could I bear the way these beings
Of the six realms, our kind mothers, are tormented by misery?
Thus I sought the path for quickly achieving
This body of conquerors, leaders of beings.
- First, by conferral of the vase empowerment,
My ordinary body was identified with deity's.
Then the secret empowerment of the stream speech,
Currents flowing in the right and left channels were drawn to the central.
- By igniting the bliss of the third empowerment (of wisdom),
I saw the naked maiden of the egoless sphere,
And by recognition of the four bodies symbolically expressed
In the fourth empowerment (of words), I faced the unity of the three bodies.
After entering the initiatory doors, i practiced the two phases
And unified with space and awareness
The deity's body produced earlier on the path
This unification with space and awareness is Vajaradhara.
For the purpose of the emanation-body of Shakyamun (Sakyamuni) appeared
This is victory over birth, death, and Bardo.
Having obtained the three bodies for myself,
I've no hope or fear about other results.
Following empowerment, when the yogi begins practice in earnest, he must observe the major and minor vows of the Tantric Vehicle as well as those involved in his particular practice> Mila gives some idea of these commitments in the third of the "Six Secret Songs"
- Through the method and wisdom of my unique lama
My vision toward friends and others was purified
All these beings are my mothers-
Blind of eye, crazed by afflictions[
yogi, how can you beat it? Dedicate yourself in service to beings
- Woman is essentially wisdom,
Source of spontaneous gnosis and illusory-body
Never consider her inferior;
Strive especially to see her as Vajra Varahi.
Never worship a deity with ordinary food and clothes,
As common men worship a king,
When power objects are used in ordinary ways,
It's like pouring clean milk into a dirty vessel.
- (You must) keep and never be without
Bone ornaments, vajra-bell, and so on
The disciple is also committed to secrecy concerning the nature of his empowerments, personal deity, and tantric practice. Although the tantras are "self-secret," that is, their real import cannot be gleaned from their scriptures by a noninitiate, they can be harmful to practice and mental stability is misapplied.
Reference: Drinking the Mountain Stream: Songs of Tibet's Beloved Saint: Milarepa: Translated By Lama Kunga Rinpoche & Brian Cutillo
Articles - Latest
- Slowdown of Earth's spin caused an oxygen surge
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starlink ‘plans ground station on the Isle of Man’ for blanket coverage of Britain
- Briton among two killed in 'suspected drone attack' on tanker in Arabian Sea
- Campaigners win High Court victory over Stonehenge tunnel project
- International Space Station knocked out of position as new Russian science lab malfunctions
- Human remains found are missing British hiker's, DNA test confirms
- Dusty Hill death: Tributes pour in after ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72
- One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey
- Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right
- Mike Howe death: Lead singer of Metal Church dies at 55
- Adam Thomas sobbed as he had to break the news of his dad's death to friend
- Former England seamer Mike Hendrick dies at the age of 72
- Jenny Powell reveals her father Leslie has passed away
- Joey Jordison death: Slipknot fans and music world pay tribute
- Move over Taj Mahal, these Welsh slate quarries are just as fascinating
- Partygoers bludgeon gunman to death with bricks after fatal shooting in Texas
- Ex-US Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming dies after bicycle accident
- Utah sandstorm leaves seven dead in 20-vehicle highway pile-up
- Chinese crane operator falls 160ft to her death while recording video
- Seven US counties under plague warning as experts say prairie dogs are good indicator of outbreak
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2