Former Birmingham City defender Sam Oji dies aged 35
Former Birmingham City defender Sam Oji has died at the age of 35, his club announced on Saturday.
The footballer, who started his career as an Arsenal youth player, also featured for Doncaster Rovers, Bristol Rovers and Leyton Orient and in July became assistant manager of Highgate United.
In a statement on Saturday, the club said: “It is with a very heavy heart that I am deeply saddened to inform you that our beloved Captain, Leader and Legend Samuel Oji has sadly passed away.
“The thoughts of all at Highgate United FC are with Sam’s wife, children and family at this very sad time.”
Highgate United released a statement on social media on Friday saying Mr Oji was “extremely ill” but was “still fighting like the warrior that he is”.
Birmingham City FC also paid tribute to their former player, tweeting: “The Club is devastated to hear of the passing of former player Sam Oji, aged 35. The thoughts of everyone at #BCFC are with Sam’s family and friends at this extremely difficult time.”
Leyton Orient said it was “deeply saddened to learn the news” of Mr Oji’s death. “Rest in peace, Sam,” it added.
Former Aston Villa player Lee Hendrie, who played with Mr Oji at Tamworth between 2012 and 2013 also paid tribute to his former team-mate.
He said: “So sad to hear the news about the big man @SamuelOji_24. One of the nicest guys you meet on and off the pitch. Thinking of the family. Gone far to soon. R.I.P big man.”
Reference: Microsoft News: Poppy Wood
Articles - Latest
- Scientists launch plan to resurrect extinct woolly mammoths in the Arctic
- Home computer pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81
- X Factor singer Freddie Combs dies aged 49 from kidney failure
- Vera Fusek, actress who played the Earth President in Doctor Who – obituary
- Michael Constantine dies aged 94
- Deepwater Horizon: Oysters off the Gulf of Mexico plagued with tissue abnormalities after 2010 oil spill
- Jean-Paul Belmondo, star of Breathless, dies aged 88
- Female kickboxer, 26, died from a blow to the head at match
- Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud dies aged 39
- Daffney Unger dies aged 46 after concerning live stream
- Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
- 14 of the most dramatic scenes as floods pummel New York and tornadoes rip through New Jersey
- Firefly rocket explodes moments after first launch
- The ISS is cracked and facing ‘irreparable’ failures – and they could be about to get much worse
- Gregg Leakes dies of cancer
- Why is there so much plastic in the ocean?
- An odd kind of piety: The truth about Gandhi's sex life
- Almost a third of world’s tree species at risk of extinction
- SpaceX sends ants, avocados and robotic arm to space station
- Ed Asner dies at 91
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2