Ed Asner dies at 91
Legendary TV actor Ed Asner has died aged 91.
Best known for playing the role of Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Asner passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on Sunday morning.
His family tweeted from his account: 'We are sorry to say that our beloved patriarch passed away this morning peacefully. Words cannot express the sadness we feel. With a kiss on your head – Goodnight dad. We love you.'
The cause of death is not yet clear.
Born Yitzhak Edward Asner in 1929 in Kansas City, Missouri, the late star is the most decorated male performer in the history of the Emmys, with a total of seven wins, five of which were for his role as Lou Grant.
'At least 50 percent of people recognize me for that role,' Asner told The Malibu Times in 2015. 'It put me on the map and I'm forever grateful for that.'
His character in The Mary Tyler Moore Show proved so popular that he ended up having his own spin-off show, Lou Grant, which was a drama. Grant also appeared on Rhoda and Roseanne.
© Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo
He is the only actor to win an Emmy for playing the same character in a comedy and a drama.
His renowned performances in Roots and Rich Man, Poor Man, both earned Emmy awards.
A former president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1981-85, Asner was a much-loved and well-respected member of the Hollywood community.
Asner received SAG's Life Achievement Award in 2002 and was inducted into the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame a year later.
He was caught up in a political controversy in 1982 after speaking out against the U.S. involvement with repressive governments in Latin America, a move which he blamed for the cancellation of Lou Grant and also stopped his run for a third term as SAG's president.
He had more than 300 acting credits and remained active throughout his 70s and 80s in a variety of film and TV roles.
In more recent years, Asner played roles in Christmas classic Elf alongside Will Ferrell - and was also the lead voice in the Pixar movie Up.
He also appeared on Grace & Frankie, Cobra Kai, Dead To Me, and provided voices for Seth MacFarlane's animated series American Dad!
'I never get enough work,' he told The Associated Press in 2009. 'It's the history of my career. There just isn´t anything to turn down, let me put it that way.
'I'd say most people are probably in that same boat, old people, and it's a shame.'
Asner was born on Nov. 15, 1929 in Kansas City and began his acting career at a young age having helped found the Playwrights Theatre Company in Chicago after initially pursuing journalism at the University of Chicago.
His first Broadway role was alongside Jack Lemmon in the 1960 production of Face of a Hero and he made his TV debut in 1957 on anthology Studio One.
Asner is survived by wife Cindy Gilmore and four children: Matthew, Liza, Kate and Charles.
Reference: George Stark For Dailymail.com and Tracy Wright For Dailymail.com
Articles - Latest
- Scientists launch plan to resurrect extinct woolly mammoths in the Arctic
- Home computer pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81
- X Factor singer Freddie Combs dies aged 49 from kidney failure
- Vera Fusek, actress who played the Earth President in Doctor Who – obituary
- Michael Constantine dies aged 94
- Deepwater Horizon: Oysters off the Gulf of Mexico plagued with tissue abnormalities after 2010 oil spill
- Jean-Paul Belmondo, star of Breathless, dies aged 88
- Female kickboxer, 26, died from a blow to the head at match
- Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud dies aged 39
- Daffney Unger dies aged 46 after concerning live stream
- Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
- 14 of the most dramatic scenes as floods pummel New York and tornadoes rip through New Jersey
- Firefly rocket explodes moments after first launch
- The ISS is cracked and facing ‘irreparable’ failures – and they could be about to get much worse
- Gregg Leakes dies of cancer
- Why is there so much plastic in the ocean?
- An odd kind of piety: The truth about Gandhi's sex life
- Almost a third of world’s tree species at risk of extinction
- SpaceX sends ants, avocados and robotic arm to space station
- Ed Asner dies at 91
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2