Canada floods: Emergency services rescue hundreds trapped in cars in British Columbia
Authorities in Canada’s British Columbia (BC) province have rescued hundreds of people trapped in their vehicles on a highway after huge rainstorms sparked landslides.
Torrential downpours on Sunday shut roads and prompted the evacuation of 275 people, including 50 children, near the mountain town of Agassiz.
Video footage showed Canadian Forces Cormorant helicopters ferrying evacuees to safety. Emergency health services in BC said nine patients had been taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Authorities in Merritt, some 200 kilometres north east of Vancouver, ordered all 8,000 citizens to leave after rising waters cut off bridges and forced the waste water treatment plant to close.
"Continued habitation of the community without sanitary services presents risk of mass sewage back-up and personal health risk," the city said in an official notice.
Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau said the government is prepared to give the town whatever assistance it needs.
© Via REUTERS 10205137 Helicopters evacuate 275 trapped motorists stranded on British Columbia highway following landslides
“We’re here for you,” he added.
Some areas received 8 inches of rain on Sunday – the equivalent of an entire month. The deluge continued on Monday, with roads covered by mud or up to 10 inches of water.
"The situation is dynamic ... it is very difficult weather," provincial public safety minister Mike Farnworth told reporters.
“This is a very harrowing time. People are working as hard and fast and safe as they can.”
No fatalities have been confirmed so far.
The Trans Mountain pipeline, which takes crude oil from Alberta to the Pacific Coast, was also closed after the storm. The line has a capacity of 300,000 barrels a day.
Video footage posted to social media also showed roads have been partly washed away near the town of Hope.
It is the second weather-related disaster the hit the Pacific province in just a few months. In late June, temperatures soared to a record high, prompting wildfires that wiped out the town of Lytton.
Reference: Evening Standard: Daniel Keane
Articles - Latest
- Sugar-loving microbes could help power future cars, study shows
- Bulgaria bus crash: At least 45 killed after vehicle catches fire on motorway
- Suspect who 'intentionally' drove into crowds at Christmas parade 'was fleeing domestic disturbance'
- Nasa spacecraft will crash into asteroid to test defence technology
- Astronomers discover fastest spinning white dwarf star
- Malcolm X's daughter Malikah Shabazz found dead in Brooklyn apartment
- Politicians arrive at cathedral for Amess' funeral
- Denise Bryer, actress who voiced Little Weed in The Flowerpot Men and was married to Nicholas Parsons – obituary
- Double child killer Colin Pitchford arrested after being released from prison
- Funeral home sued for $88m for burying wrong body in mother’s plot
- Astra reaches orbit for 1st time on test flight for US military
- Rapper Young Dolph killed during shopping trip in home town
- ‘Their music lit a fire in me’: hearing the voices of three neglected composers gave me my own
- Fashion’s own ‘black widow’: the true story of the house of Gucci murder
- Rugby player, 40, dies just nine days after his wedding
- Solar storm warning: Stream of charged particles set to lash Earth - impact time predicted
- 20 infamous cases of whitewashing
- Chile desert is littered with gigantic mountain of used clothes
- Ronnie Wilson: Musician who brought groove to many funk hits
- Canada floods: Emergency services rescue hundreds trapped in cars in British Columbia
- Best-selling author Wilbur Smith dies
- Russia responds after debris from explosion caused emergency at International Space Station
- Three people stung to death as storms in Egypt wash scorpions and snakes into the streets
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Mass grave discovered in Japan with bodies buried in circular holes
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”