Best-selling author Wilbur Smith dies
Best-selling author Wilbur Smith has died at the age of 88, his office has announced.
The novelist died "unexpectedly" at his home in Cape Town, South Africa, on Saturday afternoon after spending the morning reading and writing with his wife Niso by his side, a statement said.
Hailed as the "undisputed and inimitable master of adventure writing", Smith's 49 published books have sold more than 140 million copies worldwide.
His first novel, When The Lion Feeds, was an instant hit when it was published in 1964 and each of his subsequent novels has featured in the bestseller charts.
© PA Wilbur Smith was hailed as the 'undisputed and inimitable master of adventure writing'
When The Lions Feed was the first novel in Smith's long-running Courtney series which follows the Courtney family's adventures through critical periods in history, from the dawn of colonial Africa and the American Civil War to the apartheid era in South Africa.
His other bestsellers include The River God and The Triumph of the Sun.
Born in Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, in 1933, Smith was a survivalist and big game hunter, managing his own game reserve and he owned a tropical island in the Seychelles.
He married four times, reportedly meeting his fourth wife Mokhiniso Rakhimova, known as Niso, in a WH Smith store in London in 2000.
Smith had three children, sons Shaun and Lawrence and daughter Christian, but had been estranged from them, telling the Sunday Times in 2015: "They were important to me at one point, make no mistake - very important - but not now.
"It's sadder for them than it is for me, because they're not getting any more money."
Reference: Sky News:
Articles - Latest
- Sugar-loving microbes could help power future cars, study shows
- Bulgaria bus crash: At least 45 killed after vehicle catches fire on motorway
- Suspect who 'intentionally' drove into crowds at Christmas parade 'was fleeing domestic disturbance'
- Nasa spacecraft will crash into asteroid to test defence technology
- Astronomers discover fastest spinning white dwarf star
- Malcolm X's daughter Malikah Shabazz found dead in Brooklyn apartment
- Politicians arrive at cathedral for Amess' funeral
- Denise Bryer, actress who voiced Little Weed in The Flowerpot Men and was married to Nicholas Parsons – obituary
- Double child killer Colin Pitchford arrested after being released from prison
- Funeral home sued for $88m for burying wrong body in mother’s plot
- Astra reaches orbit for 1st time on test flight for US military
- Rapper Young Dolph killed during shopping trip in home town
- ‘Their music lit a fire in me’: hearing the voices of three neglected composers gave me my own
- Fashion’s own ‘black widow’: the true story of the house of Gucci murder
- Rugby player, 40, dies just nine days after his wedding
- Solar storm warning: Stream of charged particles set to lash Earth - impact time predicted
- 20 infamous cases of whitewashing
- Chile desert is littered with gigantic mountain of used clothes
- Ronnie Wilson: Musician who brought groove to many funk hits
- Canada floods: Emergency services rescue hundreds trapped in cars in British Columbia
- Best-selling author Wilbur Smith dies
- Russia responds after debris from explosion caused emergency at International Space Station
- Three people stung to death as storms in Egypt wash scorpions and snakes into the streets
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Mass grave discovered in Japan with bodies buried in circular holes
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”