Last remaining Roman chandelier reconstructed by archaeologists
A Roman chandelier, which is believed to be last one remaining, has been reconstructed by Spanish archaeologists after they discovered it among the ruins of a workshop.
The round lamp which was used during the Roman Empire to light up large spaces has a diameter of a half a metre and has spots for 32 candles or fuses.
The rare artefact, which has been lovingly restored by local art teacher Eva Maria Mendiola, is on display at the Elda Museum in Alicante, Spain.
© Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo
It is believed the light, from the 1st Century AD, was made by a potter named Lucius Eros, The Times reports.
According to El Pais, Augustus and Tiberius were ruling while Eros was alive and he used to engrave his name on the molds he made.
His branding made it possible to identify the craftsman that had originally made the precious item which was found during a archeological dig.
Another four lamp molds were found at the archeological site Elo-Monastil, which is where Eros is believed to have had his workshop and several kilns.
His workshop was first discovered in 1989 before further kilns were found in 2009 and 2010.
Speaking in 1989, professor of Ancient History at the University of Alcalá de Henares Antonio M. Poveda explained the chandeliers of this style would have taken a lot of expertise to make.
As a result they were quite rare and were only made to order for wealthier people in other cities, including what is now known as Elche and Alicante, with large rooms to light up.
This latest discovery is the first of its kind to have been preserved.
The lights worked by poking fuse through holes in the multiple tubes and oil was piped in to keep it alight.
They were soon replaced by lamps made of metal materials.
Reference: Lydia Catling For Mailonline
Articles - Latest
- Scientists launch plan to resurrect extinct woolly mammoths in the Arctic
- Home computer pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81
- X Factor singer Freddie Combs dies aged 49 from kidney failure
- Vera Fusek, actress who played the Earth President in Doctor Who – obituary
- Michael Constantine dies aged 94
- Deepwater Horizon: Oysters off the Gulf of Mexico plagued with tissue abnormalities after 2010 oil spill
- Jean-Paul Belmondo, star of Breathless, dies aged 88
- Female kickboxer, 26, died from a blow to the head at match
- Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud dies aged 39
- Daffney Unger dies aged 46 after concerning live stream
- Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
- 14 of the most dramatic scenes as floods pummel New York and tornadoes rip through New Jersey
- Firefly rocket explodes moments after first launch
- The ISS is cracked and facing ‘irreparable’ failures – and they could be about to get much worse
- Gregg Leakes dies of cancer
- Why is there so much plastic in the ocean?
- An odd kind of piety: The truth about Gandhi's sex life
- Almost a third of world’s tree species at risk of extinction
- SpaceX sends ants, avocados and robotic arm to space station
- Ed Asner dies at 91
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2