Jonas Gwangwa, South African jazz musician and activist, dies aged 83
Jonas Gwangwa, the Oscar-nominated South African jazz musician who campaigned against apartheid for decades, has died aged 83. The cause of death has not been announced.
South African president Cyril Ramaphosa led tributes, saying:
A giant of our revolutionary cultural movement and our democratic creative industries has been called to rest; the trombone that boomed with boldness and bravery, and equally warmed our hearts with mellow melody has lost its life force. Jonas Gwangwa ascends to our great orchestra of musical ancestors whose creative genius and dedication to the freedom of all South Africans inspired millions in our country and mobilised the international community against the apartheid system.
Gwangwa, a trombonist, was born in 1937 and first found fame in the 50s with the Jazz Epistles, playing alongside musicians who would become some of South Africa’s biggest jazz stars: trumpeter Hugh Masekela, pianist Abdullah Ibrahim, and saxophonist Kippie Moeketsi. In 1959, he and the Jazz Epistles recorded the first LPs by black South African jazz artists, two volumes of Jazz in Africa with visiting American pianist John Mehegan.
Following the advent of apartheid, when jazz musicians were censored in South Africa alongside a raft of other repressive measures, Gwangwa left the country and lived in exile. During the 80s he was musical director of the Amandla Cultural Ensemble, a large music and dance group organised under the African National Congress political party, who performed globally as a way of raising consciousness about the anti-apartheid movement.
In 1987, alongside English composer George Fenton, he composed the score for Cry Freedom, the drama about anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko starring Denzel Washington. He was nominated for two Oscars in 1988, for best original score and song.
He returned to South Africa in 1991, and continued to record and release music. In 1997, he composed the music for South Africa’s bid for the Olympic Games.
Reference: Guardian: Ben Beaumont-Thomas
Articles - Latest
- PRINCE PHILIP DIED WITH THE QUEEN BY HIS SIDE AND SPENT HIS FINAL DAYS READING IN THE SUN
- PRINCE PHILIP'S COFFIN 'WILL BE MOVED WHEN QUEEN PASSES AWAY' SO THEY CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER
- PRINCE CHARLES INHERITS DUKE OF EDINBURGH TITLE FROM PRINCE PHILIP - EDWARD TO GET IT NEXT
- PRINCESS ANNE PAYS TRIBUTE TO DAD PRINCE PHILIP: 'WITHOUT HIM LIFE WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT'
- Prince Philip death: Joe Biden among world leaders paying tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- WOMAN WHO WAS REVIVED AFTER DROWNING EXPLAINS WHAT DYING FEELS LIKE
- SIR RICHARD SUTTON: ONE OF UK'S RICHEST MEN STABBED TO DEATH AT HIS HOME
- PRINCE PHILIP, THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH, HAS DIED
- CONSERVATIVE MP DAME CHERYL GILLAN DIES AFTER SUFFERING FROM LONG-TERM ILLNESS
- BRONZE AGE STONE SLAB DISCOVERED IN FRANCE IS OLDEST MAP IN EUROPE, SAY ARCHAEOLOGISTS
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: HEART ATTACK VICTIM RECOUNTS HIS EXTRAORDINARY OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE
- Procession Of The Golden Mummies
- BARACK OBAMA'S 'GRANNY' AND FAMILY MATRIARCH DIES IN KENYAN HOSPITAL
- SOUTH AFRICA’S ZULU KING GOODWILL ZWELITHINI DIES IN HOSPITAL AGE 72
- VORIAN PRIME MINISTER HAMED BAKAYOKO DIES IN GERMAN HOSPITAL AGED 56
- BILLIONAIRE OLIVIER DASSAULT DIES IN A HELICOPTER CRASH
- LIFE AFTER DEATH: WOMAN RECOUNTS AFTERLIFE ‘HIGHER INTELLIGENCE' EXPERIENCE WHEN INFANT
- JOHN LEGEND MOURNS DEATH OF HIS 'TWIN' GRANDMOTHER JUST DAYS AFTER HER BIRTHDAY
- MUMMY WITH A GOLD TONGUE FOUND IN EGYPT
- DAUGHTER OF WARSAW ZOO COUPLE WHO SAVED HUNDREDS FROM HOLOCAUST DIES AGED 77
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6