Treasure hunters think they've found £200,000,000 in Nazi gold under SS brothel
Provided by Metro The stash was hidden under orders of the SS towards the end of World War II (Picture: Stuart Dowell / Silesian Bridge Foundation)
A team of treasure hunters believe they’ve found a huge stash of looted gold and valuables underneath a palace used as a brothel by Hitler’s SS.
They have uncovered a mysterious metal canister buried 10ft below the surface in the village of Minkowskie in southern Poland.
It is thought to contain the so-called ‘Gold of Breslau’, which went missing from police headquarters from what is now the Polish city of Wrocław.
The loot was stolen towards the end of the war under the orders of SS head Heinrich Himmler to help set up a Fourth Reich.
The four tonne stash is also thought to include jewellery and valuables from wealthy Germans who lived in the area.
Nazi henchmen were believed to have seized the treasure to stop Russia’s Red Army from taking it as they advanced.
The discovery at the 18th century palace was made by investigator Roman Furmaniak and his team, from the Silesian Bridge Foundation.
The team, who had been searching the site for a year, managed to find the stash’s location after getting hold of secret documents, a map, and a diary and letter from an SS officer.
Descendants of SS members, who belong to a secretive Christian lodge dating back over 1,000 years, provided the cache of clues in a bid to make amends for Nazi plundering.
Last year Mr Furmaniak said: ‘We are described everywhere as treasure hunters. In fact we want nothing for ourselves.
‘The goal of the Quedlinburg Lodge and therefore the foundation is to hand these deposits over to their rightful owners in the interests of world heritage and as an act of atonement for the Second World War.’
The discovery was made after a geo-radar search of an abandoned conservatory in the grounds showed ‘anomalies’ – as metal shows up on the images in a darker colour to earth.
Now the Silesian Bridge Foundation is waiting for permission to raise the canister to the surface, MailOnline reports.
It is feared the site could have been booby trapped, so the Polish army will have to make sure it is safe first, which could take months.
Among the collection of documents used by the team was a letter from a senior SS officer to his lover, who worked at the palace.
He wrote: ‘My dear Inge, I will fulfil my assignment, with God’s will. Some transports were successful. The remaining 48 heavy Reichsbank’s chests and all the family chests I hereby entrust to you.
‘Only you know where they are located. May God help you and help me, fulfil my assignment.’
It describes one cache as containing 47 high value artworks stolen from collections in France. The loot is thought to contain works by Botticelli, Rubens, Cezanne, Carravagio, Monet, Dürer, Rafael and Rembrandt.
Mr Furmaniak said several people hid the deposits in Minkowskie, including an officer named von Stein.
‘He used to stay in the palace because he had a lover there. Due to its location it was often visited by high-ranking SS officers who treated it like a brothel,’ he added.
After Inge was entrusted to keep an eye on the hiding spot, Mr Furmaniak says she had to hide from the Russians in a forest for two months in 1945. But when she returned, the area had not been disturbed.
The foundation also hopes to search another 10 sites across Lower Silesia identified in pages of the SS officer’s diary, where even more treasure could be uncovered.
Another stash at the palace supposedly contains religious objects gathered by Himmler’s Ahnenerbe.
The Nazi Germany think tank raided sacred items from around the world in an attempt to find evidence for and justify Hitler’s racial theories.
When the war ended, the region was handed from Germany to a newly Soviet-controlled Poland.
The German population was kicked out, and Poles who had been living in western Ukraine settled there.
Inge ended up changing her appearance and identity and married a local man in order to keep a low profile. She continued to watch over the hidden treasure until her death 60 years later.
Reference: Metro: James Hockaday
Articles - Latest
- Could vertical farms be the answer to ending soft fruit and herb imports to UK? Saphora Smith - 8 Jun
- The 'strange' shipwreck on the Yorkshire coast only visible at low tide
- At least 49 dead and more than 100 injured after huge fire causes multiple blasts at container depot 5 Jun
- Kelly Joe Phelps, blues and country musician, dies aged 62
- A tribute to John Obi Mikel, Nigeria creator turned Chelsea water carrier
- OM MANI PADME HUM - BEAUTIFUL VERSION
- What are coronal mass ejections?
- Porridge actress Patricia Brake dies aged 79 after ‘long battle with cancer’
- Jim Parks, former England wicketkeeper, dies aged 90
- Alan White, drummer with prog rock band Yes, dies aged 72
- Mail journalist Barry Edwards dies of rare cancer aged 72 Daily Mail Reporter 4 days ago
- George Pérez obituaryGeorge Pérez obituary
- Lester Piggott: Britain's most famous jockey dies aged 86
- Marion Barber death: Former Dallas Cowboys player found dead, aged 38
- Blue-whale-size asteroid to screech past Earth in close encounter on June 6
- 2,100-year-old burial of woman lying on bronze 'mermaid bed' unearthed in Greece
- Bo Hopkins obituary
- Andy Fletcher obituary
- Goodfellas actor Ray Liotta dies aged 67 as he shoots new film in Caribbean
- Rock and roll legend Ronnie Hawkins dies aged 87
- As The World Turns’ star Marnie Schulenburg has died, aged 37
- Vangelis, composer of Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner soundtracks, dies aged 79
- Shivkumar Sharma obituary
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy