Kang Soo-yeon death: Veteran Korean actor dies at 55 after suffering cardiac arrest
Veteran Korean actor Kang Soo-yeon has died at the age of 55.
Getty: Kang Soo-yeon was often honourifically nicknamed Korea’s ‘first world star’
On Thursday (5 May), the Girls’ Night Out star was found in a state of cardiac arrest at her home in Apgujeong, Gangnam, Seoul.
She was rushed to the Gangnam Severance Hospital for treatment and died two days later of a cerebral hemorrhage, according to Variety.
Kang has been laid to rest at the Samsung Medical Centre in Seoul, and her funeral will take place on Wednesday (11 May), reported Korean website Soompi.
She was an internationally acclaimed star from the mid-1980s to the end of the 1990s, and was often honourifically nicknamed Korea’s “first world star”.
She began her acting career at a young age.
Her filmography contains many famous Korean movies such as Im Kwon-taek’s The Surrogate Woman, 2011’s Hanji, and 2013’s Juri.
For The Surrogate Woman, Kang was honoured with the Volpi Cup for Best Actress award at the 1987 Venice International Film Festival, as well as the Best Actress Award at the Nantes International Film Festival.
The achievement marked the first time a Korean actor had been given an award at a major international film festival.
From the early-2000s, Kang took years off between film appearances and switched to acting on the small screen, where she obtained moderate success for starring in 2001’s Ladies of the Palace.
After a nine-year gap, she was set to return to film a Netflix original called Jung_E, directed by Yeon Sang-ho. The film, which finished filming in January 2022, is slated for release later in the year.
Reference: Independent: Peony Hirwani
Articles - Latest
- Could vertical farms be the answer to ending soft fruit and herb imports to UK? Saphora Smith - 8 Jun
- The 'strange' shipwreck on the Yorkshire coast only visible at low tide
- At least 49 dead and more than 100 injured after huge fire causes multiple blasts at container depot 5 Jun
- Kelly Joe Phelps, blues and country musician, dies aged 62
- A tribute to John Obi Mikel, Nigeria creator turned Chelsea water carrier
- OM MANI PADME HUM - BEAUTIFUL VERSION
- What are coronal mass ejections?
- Porridge actress Patricia Brake dies aged 79 after ‘long battle with cancer’
- Jim Parks, former England wicketkeeper, dies aged 90
- Alan White, drummer with prog rock band Yes, dies aged 72
- Mail journalist Barry Edwards dies of rare cancer aged 72 Daily Mail Reporter 4 days ago
- George Pérez obituaryGeorge Pérez obituary
- Lester Piggott: Britain's most famous jockey dies aged 86
- Marion Barber death: Former Dallas Cowboys player found dead, aged 38
- Blue-whale-size asteroid to screech past Earth in close encounter on June 6
- 2,100-year-old burial of woman lying on bronze 'mermaid bed' unearthed in Greece
- Bo Hopkins obituary
- Andy Fletcher obituary
- Goodfellas actor Ray Liotta dies aged 67 as he shoots new film in Caribbean
- Rock and roll legend Ronnie Hawkins dies aged 87
- As The World Turns’ star Marnie Schulenburg has died, aged 37
- Vangelis, composer of Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner soundtracks, dies aged 79
- Shivkumar Sharma obituary
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy