Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
Winter is often thought to be the best time of year for star-gazing, if you can brave the cold.
What’s more, star-gazing around the time of the full moon is often the best time of month, as the sky is most fully illuminated.
This month, the full moon has a special term: wolf moon.
With the wolf moon just around the corner, here’s what the term means and how you can see the moon at its best in Edinburgh.
The wolf moon will be invisible in Edinburgh next week. Photo: Thinnapat /Getty Images / Canva Pro.
What is a wolf moon?
A wolf moon is a special name given to the first full moon of the year.
In 2022, this will fall on Monday January 17th.
The term is thought to have Native American and European roots, and is supposedly connected to the belief that wolves were more likely to howl around the full moon, especially the first one of the year.
This belief has been generally disproved now, as we know that wolves howl in order to communicate with one another.
Wolves are nocturnal, which explains why they howl at night, and turning their mouths up to the moon means that their calls are carried further, making it more likely to be heard by other wolves.
A full moon takes place when the moon is positioned on the opposite side of the Earth to the Sun, and so its full face is illuminated.
Full moons are when the moon is most illuminated by the Sun. Photo: kasububu / pixabay / Canva Pro.
How best to see the wolf moon in Edinburgh
The sun will set at around 4.15pm on January 17th, with the moon starting to rise roughly 30 minutes before that.
The weather is set to be partially cloudy on this evening, so it might be tricky to see the wolf moon fully.
The higher up you go, the more likely you will be able to break through the cloud cover.
Spots like Arthur’s Seat, Blackford Hill, or any of Edinburgh’s other elevated outlooks are perfect to make the most of the first full moon of the year.
What’s more, try and stay away from city lights, like buildings or street lamps.
Light pollution can often interfere with the view and make it harder to see the natural sights lighting up the night sky.
Articles - Latest
- Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
- Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78
- Ronnie Spector, pop singer who fronted the Ronettes, dies aged 78
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ultra-rare bionic armour discovered in ancient China burial
- Former Neighbours star who played Sky Mangel dies in her sleep aged 34
- Antarctica discovery of ‘warm caves' offered stunning evidence for life beneath ice
- Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
- Maria Ewing obituary
- China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
- Dinosaur hunters find 180-million-year-old 'sea dragon' skeleton with one-tonne skull
- Archaeology breakthrough as 'cursed' shipwreck discovered after 350 years
- At least 22 dead as heavy snow traps people in cars at Pakistan resort
- The Bill star George Rossi died from pancreatic cancer surrounded by family
- James Webb Space Telescope nails secondary mirror deployment
- Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
- Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
- Sinéad O’Connor’s son Shane dies, aged 17
- Bill Bryden obituary
- Oscar winner and groundbreaking star Sidney Poitier dies
- Disney+ star Kim Mi-soo dies 'suddenly' age 29, her agent confirms
- Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist dies from Covid after saying only ‘idiots’ get vaccinated
- Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman dies aged 93
- James Mtume, jazz and funk musician, dies aged 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The science behind Ouija boards
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY