Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
Tributes were paid last night to a former head of the Royal Marines who has died suddenly.
Highly decorated Major General Matthew Holmes CBE served in all the UK's recent conflicts and was one of Britain's most senior military officers.
He served as Commandant General Royal Marines from 2019 until April this year.
The 54-year-old, who died on Saturday, also won one of this country's most prestigious gallantry awards, the Distinguished Service Order, for his leadership on the frontline in Afghanistan in 2007.
The Ministry of Defence confirmed last night that the circumstances of his death were being investigated - but they are not thought to have been suspicious.
However, it is understood that he took his own life, the Telegraph reported.
A spokesman said: 'Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends at this difficult time and they have our deepest and heartfelt condolences. We request that their privacy is respected at this time.'
Major General Holmes had a distinguished career, which included operational tours in Northern Ireland, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan.
He commanded 42 Commando Royal Marines from 2006 to 2008 and was appointed as a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order for his leadership on operations in Afghanistan in 2007.
He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2019.
First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Tony Radakin KCB ADC, said: 'I am deeply saddened to hear about the tragic death of Matt Holmes.
'We mourn the loss of one of our most senior and highly decorated Royal Marines; a devoted former Commandant General who had served the nation, the Royal Navy and his beloved Corps with distinction for 33 years.
'Matt was also a dear friend to many, and a close friend of mine for over 20 years. He will be sorely missed by the Service and especially the Corps Family.
'But my thoughts, prayers and deepest sympathy are with Matt's family. Their loss is the greatest and most painful: we will be there for them now and always.'
Commandant General Royal Marines, Lieutenant General Rob Magowan CB CBE, said: 'My predecessor as Commandant General Royal Marines and my friend, Matt Holmes, tragically died at the weekend. My heart goes out to him and his family.
'We will honour him and all those closest to him. But I also think of you all.
'It matters not that he was a General, but it does that he is a Royal Marine. I remember and celebrate him, alongside all those who he is with now.
'We are one family, together, just as we learned, and as we trained, alongside each other at the Commando Training Centre. Once a marine, always a marine.'
Reference: Harry Howard For Mailonline
Articles - Latest
- Sugar-loving microbes could help power future cars, study shows
- Bulgaria bus crash: At least 45 killed after vehicle catches fire on motorway
- Suspect who 'intentionally' drove into crowds at Christmas parade 'was fleeing domestic disturbance'
- Nasa spacecraft will crash into asteroid to test defence technology
- Astronomers discover fastest spinning white dwarf star
- Malcolm X's daughter Malikah Shabazz found dead in Brooklyn apartment
- Politicians arrive at cathedral for Amess' funeral
- Denise Bryer, actress who voiced Little Weed in The Flowerpot Men and was married to Nicholas Parsons – obituary
- Double child killer Colin Pitchford arrested after being released from prison
- Funeral home sued for $88m for burying wrong body in mother’s plot
- Astra reaches orbit for 1st time on test flight for US military
- Rapper Young Dolph killed during shopping trip in home town
- ‘Their music lit a fire in me’: hearing the voices of three neglected composers gave me my own
- Fashion’s own ‘black widow’: the true story of the house of Gucci murder
- Rugby player, 40, dies just nine days after his wedding
- Solar storm warning: Stream of charged particles set to lash Earth - impact time predicted
- 20 infamous cases of whitewashing
- Chile desert is littered with gigantic mountain of used clothes
- Ronnie Wilson: Musician who brought groove to many funk hits
- Canada floods: Emergency services rescue hundreds trapped in cars in British Columbia
- Best-selling author Wilbur Smith dies
- Russia responds after debris from explosion caused emergency at International Space Station
- Three people stung to death as storms in Egypt wash scorpions and snakes into the streets
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Mass grave discovered in Japan with bodies buried in circular holes
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”