Personality singer Lloyd Price dies at 88 from diabetes complications
Renowned rock ’n roll singer Lloyd Price has died at 88 from complications from diabetes, according to his wife Jacqueline Price.
Price told Billboard on Saturday that the singer behind hits such as Personality, Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Stagger Lee died at a New Rochelle, New York elder care facility on May 3.
'Lloyd’s music crossed many boundaries and carried him to all corners of the world,' Price said. 'He got the nickname Mr. Personality because of his biggest hit but he also earned that name because he was charismatic, generous, smart, funny, talented with a very kind heart.
'I am so grateful for everyone who loves his music and have precious memories of his many songs. From the deepest part of me thank you, love to all.'
The Louisiana native in 1998 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his place in musical history, as he was one of the forerunners of the genre alongside greats such as Fats Domino and David Bartholomew.
Price had his first top R&B hit with the Lawdy Miss Clawdy, and hits in the subsequent top 10 R&B two years with Ain’t It a Shame, Oooh-Oooh-Oooh and Tell Me Pretty Baby.
In 1957, Price was back on the charts with his song Just Because, and had the No. 1 R&B/pop hit Stagger Lee in 1958 and in 1959, the No. 2 hit Personality (from which he derived the moniker Mr. Personality) and I’m Gonna Get Married.
Other notable tracks he had in that time included Three Little Pigs, Misty and Lady Luck.
Outside of his musical career, Price had a number of businesses including a Southern food line, construction in New York and a New York City club called Turntable.
Other honors Price received included the National Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame in 2019, an induction into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in 2010, and the Rhythm and Blues Foundation's Pioneer Award in 1994.
Price's friend producer George Kerr told Billboard, 'Lloyd’s legacy will live forever. I know Lloyd’s fans all over the world are in mourning and so am I. Thank GOD there's no more pain. Lloyd RIP.'
Price is survived by wife Jackie, as well as three daughters and two sons.
Reference: Dailymail.com Reporter
Articles - Latest
- Slowdown of Earth's spin caused an oxygen surge
- Elon Musk’s SpaceX Starlink ‘plans ground station on the Isle of Man’ for blanket coverage of Britain
- Briton among two killed in 'suspected drone attack' on tanker in Arabian Sea
- Campaigners win High Court victory over Stonehenge tunnel project
- International Space Station knocked out of position as new Russian science lab malfunctions
- Human remains found are missing British hiker's, DNA test confirms
- Dusty Hill death: Tributes pour in after ZZ Top bassist dies aged 72
- One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey
- Astronomers see back of a black hole for first time, proving Albert Einstein was right
- Mike Howe death: Lead singer of Metal Church dies at 55
- Adam Thomas sobbed as he had to break the news of his dad's death to friend
- Former England seamer Mike Hendrick dies at the age of 72
- Jenny Powell reveals her father Leslie has passed away
- Joey Jordison death: Slipknot fans and music world pay tribute
- Move over Taj Mahal, these Welsh slate quarries are just as fascinating
- Partygoers bludgeon gunman to death with bricks after fatal shooting in Texas
- Ex-US Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming dies after bicycle accident
- Utah sandstorm leaves seven dead in 20-vehicle highway pile-up
- Chinese crane operator falls 160ft to her death while recording video
- Seven US counties under plague warning as experts say prairie dogs are good indicator of outbreak
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2