Melvin Van Peebles dead: Pioneer filmmaker of the Blaxploitation genre dies aged 89
Melvin Van Peebles has died at the age of 89.
The influential filmmaker was the man behind the '70s blaxploitation film Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song.
He was the father of director and actor Mario Van Peebles.
Mario paid a poignant tribute to his dad in a statement from the Criterion Collection. "Dad knew that Black images matter," he said.
"If a picture is worth a thousand words, what was a movie worth? We want to be the success we see, thus we need to see ourselves being free.
"True liberation did not mean imitating the colonizer's mentality. It meant appreciating the power, beauty and interconnectivity of all people."
Melvin's film Sweet Sweetback is set to be shown at this week's New York Film Festival to mark 50 years since it was created.
© WireImage Melvin Van Peebles
The Criterion Collection said: "In an unparalleled career distinguished by relentless innovation, boundless curiosity and spiritual empathy, Melvin Van Peebles made an indelible mark on the international cultural landscape through his films, novels, plays and music."
Melvin was considered by many to be the godfather of modern Black cinema and directed other films such as Watermelon Man in 1970, which was a racial satire starring Godfrey Cambridge as a bigoted white insurance salesman who goes to the bathroom in his suburban home one night and discovers he’s Black.
At the time of its release, there were very few African-American directors in Hollywood.
He also directed movies such as Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death, Don't Play Us Cheap! and Identity Crisis.
Melvin starred alongside his son Mario in the 1993 film titled Posse.
As well as directing, Melvin appeared in many movies, including Jaws: The Revenge, Reginald Hudlin's Boomerang, Last Action Hero and The Hebrew Hammer.
Reference: Mirror: Jamie Roberts
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2