X Factor singer Freddie Combs dies aged 49 from kidney failure
The X Factor US contestant Freddie Combs has sadly died at the age of 49 from kidney failure.
The singer became a star from Simon Cowell’s US edition of the talent competition, where he wowed the judges with his dulcet tones on the huge stage.
Freddie died at a hospital in Florida according to US publication TMZ.
He was surrounded by his family and friends. The singer’s wife Kay paid tribute to her beloved husband as she told the website that she is so thankful to have had 25 years with Freddie.
"I have so much gratitude to be his wife for 25 years and to be his best friend,” Kay said, but unfortunately said she’d known he was going to pass the day before he actually did.
The X Factor contestant had been fighting to lose all of his excess weight for the last 11 years, after reaching 64 stone at his peak.
© getty THE X FACTOR: Contestant Eddie Combs performs in front of the judges on an all new episode of THE X FACTOR airing Thursday, September 27, 2012 (8:00-9:00PM ET/PT) on FOX. (Photo by FOX
But the star managed to turn his life around and ended up losing 37 stone in total.
Freddie had also devoted his life to being a minister, but when he belted out Wind Beneath My Wings on The X Factor he was an instant favourite with viewers.
Simon and fellow judge L.A. Reid told Freddie at the time that they would support him on his journey if he promised them he’d lose weight and get out of his wheelchair.
Despite his determination to do just that, the contestant was knocked out of the competition shortly after.
Freddie, who was originally from the state of North Carolina, opened up on his struggles before his audition.
"I was bedridden and never came out of the house," he said in a prerecorded interview. "My music was never heard.
"My biggest dream would be to give hope to people who are my size. I hope the judges will look past my exterior and give a fat boy a chance."
After his powerful audition, Simon had told him: "I don't believe you deserve to be stuck in this chair. I'll back you if you back yourself."
Britney Spears, a judge at the time, also praised the contestant for his "shockingly amazing" voice.
Reference: OK :Roxanne Hughes
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2