Prince Philip died with the Queen by his side and spent his final days reading in the sun
Prince Philip was on “good form” in the final days of his life before dying with the Queen by his side, sources have claimed.
The Duke of Edinburgh was discharged from hospital last month after a 28-day stay and surgery for a pre-existing heart condition.
Palace sources said he was “calmer and quieter” during his last days at Windsor Castle and spent his time reading in the sun, writing letters and talking to loved ones on the phone.
He was said to be frustrated by Covid restrictions, which made family visits harder, but he was pleased to be back home.
One well-placed source told the Telegraph: “He spent most of the four weeks he was in hospital trying to get home.
“They operated on his heart in a bid to give him a little longer, maybe with the 100th birthday in mind.
“But he didn’t really care about that.
“He just wanted to be back in his own bed. There is no way he would have wanted to die in hospital.”
Insiders said the duke tried to stay as independent as possible, despite his deteriorating health, and continued to dress himself.
He became furious when a wheelchair was placed in his room, demanding staff “get that bl***y thing out of my sight”.
On one occasion he dropped his glasses and refused to let aide pick them up, insisting on doing it himself.
In the days prior to his death the duke had little appetite but mealtimes were changed so he could dine with the Queen when he felt well enough.
Sources said Prince Philip’s decline was gradual before he became “gravely ill” on Thursday night.
The Queen dismissed any suggestion that he would return to hospital and was by his side when he passed away on Friday morning.
Buckingham Palace released a statement at midday confirming the duke’s death.
“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” it said.
“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.
“Further announcements will made in due course.
“The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss.”
Prince Philip was married to Queen Elizabeth for 73 years and is the longest royal consort in history.
Reference: Evening Standard: Tammy Hughes
Articles - Latest
- PERSONALITY SINGER LLOYD PRICE DIES AT 88 FROM DIABETES COMPLICATIONS
- ZULU QUEEN: MANTFOMBI DLAMINI-ZULU BURIED AMID SUCCESSION ROW
- JIMMY RICH DEATH: AVENGERS STARS LEAD TRIBUTES TO ROBERT DOWNEY JR’S ‘RIGHT-HAND MAN’, WHO HAS DIED AT 52
- JANE MCDONALD BREAKS SILENCE FOLLOWING TRAGIC DEATH OF HER BELOVED PARTNER ED
- WOMAN WHO WAS REVIVED AFTER DROWNING EXPLAINS WHAT DYING FEELS LIKE
- ICONIC LEVIS MODEL NICK KAMEN DIES AT 59 - SIX YEARS AFTER BROTHER BARRY'S DEATH AGED 52
- TOM HICKEY DEAD: MOONE BOY ACTOR DIES WITH CHRIS O'DOWD LEADING TRIBUTES
- SOLI SORABJEE, FORMER ATTORNEY GENERAL OF INDIA, PASSES AWAY AFTER CONTRACTING COVID-19
- BODY PULLED FROM SEA IDENTIFIED AS MISSING WOMAN, 22, LAST SEEN MONTHS AGO
- TRIBUTES PAID TO ‘ANGELIC SON’ WHO DIED TRYING TO RESCUE WOMAN FROM RIVER THAMES
- FRENCH CAVERS ON FAST FORWARD AS 40-DAY UNDERGROUND ISOLATION GOES BY IN NO TIME
- I’M IN INDIA AND HORRIFIED BY THE COVID CRISIS – I NEVER THOUGHT WE’D SEE DEATH ON THIS SCALE HERE
- WOMAN, 55, DIAGNOSED WITH TERMINAL CANCER PLANS LAST-MINUTE WEDDING
- INDONESIAN SUBMARINE FOUND SPLIT IN PIECES, ALL 53 CREW DECLARED DEAD
- CELEBRITIES PAY TRIBUTE TO LATE ACTRESS HELEN MCCRORY: JK ROWLING, PIERS MORGAN & MORE
- ADAM PERKINS DEATH: VIRAL VINE STAR DIES AGED 24
- JACQUELINE JOSSA HEARTBROKEN AS SHE ANNOUNCES HER BELOVED GRANDAD HAS DIED IN LOVING TRIBUTE
- BOY, 12, DIES AFTER DOING TIKTOK BLACKOUT CHALLENGE
- AFTERLIFE: CHILDREN REMEMBER PAST LIVES CLAIMS PSYCHIATRIST
- JOSEPH SIRAVO DEATH: THE SOPRANOS STAR DIES AGED 64
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6