China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
The Yutu-2 rover has been exploring the far side of the Moon since early 2019 as part of China's Chang'e-4 lunar lander mission. It recently spotted a mysterious cube-shaped object in the distance. After catching a glimpse of the baffling object, the rover team drove over to take a closer look. After burning speculation, it turned out that the "mystery house" was nothing more than a rock.
But it had sparked a wave of curiosity when it was first noticed.
Andrew Jones, a journalist who covers the Chinese space programme, wrote on Twitter: "Ah. We have an update from Yutu-2 on the lunar far side, including an image of a cubic shape on the northern horizon -80m away from the rover in Von Kármán crater.
"Referred to as "" ("mystery house"), the next 2-3 lunar days will be spent getting closer to check it out."
But even though a rock was all that was found, Mr Jones was not disheartened.
He described the conclusion to the saga as "so underwhelming it's brilliant".
He wrote again on Twitter: "Oh, this is amazing.
"Close to tears. Ourspace has published an update on the "mystery hut" and it's so underwhelming it's brilliant.
"It's just a small rock on a crater rim that they're now calling "jade rabbit" for its appearance."
The cube-shaped "hut" was a small lumpy rock sitting on a crater rim.
But it happened to look much bigger and more mysterious in the rover's original image.
It was only after getting closer and getting a better perspective that the rover was able to unveil the object's true form.
The rock's huddled shape has now led it to be dubbed "jade rabbit".
This is because it looks a bit like a bunny rabbit crouching down with a couple of carrots in front of it.
And as the Yutu-2 rover's name translates to Jade Rabbit, it is almost as if the rover has found its own mascot on the Moon.
Yutu-2 works on solar power, so it periodically hibernates until the Sun comes back out.
This is why it took a bit of time to move closer to the "mystery hut" for a better look.
The Yutu-2 rover mission is the first to explore the Moon's far side and it has been rolling along for three years since it first landed.
This part of the Moon is scattered with impact craters, which can feature hefty amounts of chunky debris.
It is now due to assess the area around the jade rabbit rock.
It is hoped that it should be able to get some even better images.
According to China Daily, Yutu-2 has already travelled 2,756 feet (840 meters) across the Moon.
Articles - Latest
- Actor Bernard Cribbins dies aged 93
- 'Elvis' actress Shonka Dukureh (44) found dead in her home
- JayDaYoungan death: Rapper fatally shot aged 24
- Buzz Aldrin's 1969 iconic moon jacket sells for £2.3m at auction
- Husband ‘killed new wife four days after wedding and stuffed body into suitcase’
- Scientists create strange matter in which time has ‘two dimensions’
- Russia to withdraw from International Space Station
- The strange, grisly saga of Eva Perón’s corpse
- 'Trailblazer' EastEnders star Mona Hammond dies
- Tony Dow’s son says actor is ‘still alive, but in his last hours’ after managers prematurely announced death
- Qin Yi obituary
- Giant piles of Britain's unwanted clothes wash up on Ghana's beaches
- Bob Rafelson: subtle and complex director was presiding genius of the Hollywood new wave
- Godfather actor James Caan dies 82
- Landlords of flat where medical secretary, 61, lay dead for over two years made NO contact with her
- Oprah Winfrey’s father Vernon Winfrey dies at 89
- Busisiwe Lurayi dead – Netflix star dies 'suddenly' aged 36
- 'Within a few seconds all the water was pulled in' - Man dies after being sucked into swimming pool sinkhole
- Woman found decomposing at home after mental health services failed to check in on her
- Indian minister, 48, drinks dirty water from river to show locals it's safe then falls ill
- ‘He could not expel the trauma’: Sidney Nolan’s Auschwitz paintings revealed in landmark show
- Bowel cancer campaigner Dame Deborah James dies aged 40
- NASA’s Webb telescope reveals deepest ever view of early universe
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- Web Links
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy