China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
The Yutu-2 rover has been exploring the far side of the Moon since early 2019 as part of China's Chang'e-4 lunar lander mission. It recently spotted a mysterious cube-shaped object in the distance. After catching a glimpse of the baffling object, the rover team drove over to take a closer look. After burning speculation, it turned out that the "mystery house" was nothing more than a rock.
But it had sparked a wave of curiosity when it was first noticed.
Andrew Jones, a journalist who covers the Chinese space programme, wrote on Twitter: "Ah. We have an update from Yutu-2 on the lunar far side, including an image of a cubic shape on the northern horizon -80m away from the rover in Von Kármán crater.
"Referred to as "" ("mystery house"), the next 2-3 lunar days will be spent getting closer to check it out."
But even though a rock was all that was found, Mr Jones was not disheartened.
He described the conclusion to the saga as "so underwhelming it's brilliant".
He wrote again on Twitter: "Oh, this is amazing.
"Close to tears. Ourspace has published an update on the "mystery hut" and it's so underwhelming it's brilliant.
"It's just a small rock on a crater rim that they're now calling "jade rabbit" for its appearance."
The cube-shaped "hut" was a small lumpy rock sitting on a crater rim.
But it happened to look much bigger and more mysterious in the rover's original image.
It was only after getting closer and getting a better perspective that the rover was able to unveil the object's true form.
The rock's huddled shape has now led it to be dubbed "jade rabbit".
This is because it looks a bit like a bunny rabbit crouching down with a couple of carrots in front of it.
And as the Yutu-2 rover's name translates to Jade Rabbit, it is almost as if the rover has found its own mascot on the Moon.
Yutu-2 works on solar power, so it periodically hibernates until the Sun comes back out.
This is why it took a bit of time to move closer to the "mystery hut" for a better look.
The Yutu-2 rover mission is the first to explore the Moon's far side and it has been rolling along for three years since it first landed.
This part of the Moon is scattered with impact craters, which can feature hefty amounts of chunky debris.
It is now due to assess the area around the jade rabbit rock.
It is hoped that it should be able to get some even better images.
According to China Daily, Yutu-2 has already travelled 2,756 feet (840 meters) across the Moon.
Articles - Latest
- Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
- Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78
- Ronnie Spector, pop singer who fronted the Ronettes, dies aged 78
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ultra-rare bionic armour discovered in ancient China burial
- Former Neighbours star who played Sky Mangel dies in her sleep aged 34
- Antarctica discovery of ‘warm caves' offered stunning evidence for life beneath ice
- Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
- Maria Ewing obituary
- China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
- Dinosaur hunters find 180-million-year-old 'sea dragon' skeleton with one-tonne skull
- Archaeology breakthrough as 'cursed' shipwreck discovered after 350 years
- At least 22 dead as heavy snow traps people in cars at Pakistan resort
- The Bill star George Rossi died from pancreatic cancer surrounded by family
- James Webb Space Telescope nails secondary mirror deployment
- Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
- Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
- Sinéad O’Connor’s son Shane dies, aged 17
- Bill Bryden obituary
- Oscar winner and groundbreaking star Sidney Poitier dies
- Disney+ star Kim Mi-soo dies 'suddenly' age 29, her agent confirms
- Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist dies from Covid after saying only ‘idiots’ get vaccinated
- Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman dies aged 93
- James Mtume, jazz and funk musician, dies aged 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The science behind Ouija boards
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY