Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
The father-of-three, a lifelong trade unionist who represented the seat of Birmingham Erdington since 2010, was discovered at his constituency home by police on Friday afternoon. He is believed to have died suddenly from natural causes, and his death is not being treated as suspicious.
Ms Harman, who briefly served as Labour leader and is the longest-serving female MP, had recently announced her intention to leave Parliament. The pair had been due to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary later this year.
A by-election will be held in Birmingham Erdington, but it is not yet known who will replace Mr Dromey.
Parliament flags fly at half mast
Joe Dromey, the couple's son, served as a Labour councillor in Lewisham, south London, for seven years. He wrote on Friday night: "We loved him so, so much." His sister, Amy Harman, wrote: "RIP to my truly wonderful dad Jack Dromey. How much we will all miss him."
A family statement said Mr Dromey was a "much-loved husband, father and grandfather, and he will be greatly missed."
Flags in Parliament's New Palace Yard were lowered to half mast in recognition of his death, while the former Labour prime ministers Sir Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were among those who paid tribute.
A West Midlands Police spokesman said officers had forced entry to Mr Dromey's flat in north east Birmingham shortly after 1.30pm on Friday following a 999 call to request a welfare check.
Jessica Taylor/UK Parliament Labour MP Jack Dromey dead aged 73 - Jessica Taylor/UK Parliament
A friend told The Telegraph the MP had struggled with his health since contracting Covid, saying: "He did suffer from Covid early on and he became very weak of late. He was not quite himself since he caught it."
Sir Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, and Mr Dromey's party colleagues paid tribute to his work as a trade unionist, as well as to his "boundless energy".
Commitment to social justice
"From supporting the strike at the Grunwick film processing laboratory, when he met Harriet, through to being elected to represent Birmingham Erdington in 2010, Jack lived his commitment to social justice every day," Sir Keir said.
"Jack was recognised for his determination to stand up for his constituents and he was highly respected and warmly regarded across Parliament. My thoughts and those of the whole Labour movement are with Harriet, their children and all those who knew and loved Jack."
Friends said they were stunned to hear of Mr Dromey's death after seeing him well at work and speaking in a parliamentary debate on the resettlement of Afghan refugees on Thursday.
Steve McCabe, a Labour MP in the neighbouring constituency of Selly Oak, said: "I saw him on Tuesday at the event in Birmingham with Keir Starmer, and he seemed fine. We were laughing and joking. We were talking about what was coming up in the year.
"He was one of these people that just seemed to have boundless energy. He gave the impression he would go on for ever."
Sir Tony and Mr Brown released statements paying tribute to a "great humanitarian" and "complete stalwart of the Labour and trade union movement".
Boris Johnson said he was "deeply saddened" to hear of his death, adding: "My thoughts are with Harriet and the family, and all those who knew him as a friend", while Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Commons Speaker, described Mr Dromey as a "life force" and mourned "another sad day for the House and a bad start to the year".
Reference: The Telegraph: Tony Diver, Danielle Sheridan
Articles - Latest
- Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
- Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78
- Ronnie Spector, pop singer who fronted the Ronettes, dies aged 78
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ultra-rare bionic armour discovered in ancient China burial
- Former Neighbours star who played Sky Mangel dies in her sleep aged 34
- Antarctica discovery of ‘warm caves' offered stunning evidence for life beneath ice
- Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
- Maria Ewing obituary
- China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
- Dinosaur hunters find 180-million-year-old 'sea dragon' skeleton with one-tonne skull
- Archaeology breakthrough as 'cursed' shipwreck discovered after 350 years
- At least 22 dead as heavy snow traps people in cars at Pakistan resort
- The Bill star George Rossi died from pancreatic cancer surrounded by family
- James Webb Space Telescope nails secondary mirror deployment
- Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
- Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
- Sinéad O’Connor’s son Shane dies, aged 17
- Bill Bryden obituary
- Oscar winner and groundbreaking star Sidney Poitier dies
- Disney+ star Kim Mi-soo dies 'suddenly' age 29, her agent confirms
- Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist dies from Covid after saying only ‘idiots’ get vaccinated
- Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman dies aged 93
- James Mtume, jazz and funk musician, dies aged 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The science behind Ouija boards
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY