Solar storm warning: Stream of charged particles set to lash Earth - impact time predicted
A hole has opened in the southern region of the Sun and is spewing a stream of charged particles towards Earth. NASA images snapped by the space agency's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) reveal a large "coronal hole" in the Sun's outer atmosphere - the corona. The stream of "gaseous material" escaping this hole is forecast to hit the planet between Saturday and Sunday.
According to the website SpaceWeather.com, this could result in some minor geomagnetic unrest in the planet's magnetosphere - the region of space dominated by Earth's magnetic field.
Solar winds are a constant stream of plasma that flows from the Sun's corona and out into space.
The plasma is mostly comprised of free-flowing electrons and protons.
The streams escape the corona, which is the Sun's outermost layer that reaches temperatures of up to 1.1 million C.
The biggest solar wind emissions are typically attributed to coronal holes.
The stream heading towards Earth is expected to produce some beautiful aurora effects in the polar regions.
And the good news is that the forecast does not predict any impacts on technology or communications.
Depending on their severity, solar storms are known to sometimes knock out satellites or cause power blackouts.
SpaceWeather.com's astronomers wrote: "Earth is exiting one solar wind stream. Another is on the way.
© EXPRESS Sun fact sheet: Incredible facts about the Sun
"Flowing from a southern hole in the sun's atmosphere, the gaseous material is due to arrive on November 21 to 22.
"NOAA forecasters say that a corotating interaction region (CIR) travelling just ahead of the stream could spark geomagnetic activity and Arctic auroras on November 20."
Corotating interaction regions or CIRs describe a compression region that forms ahead of a coronal hole stream.
They form as a result of slower solar winds interacting with the higher-speed stream.
According to the American Meteorological Society, they most often develop ahead of "more persistent coronal holes".
When they reach the Earth, the interplanetary magnetic field strength increases and can trigger geomagnetic storms (solar storms).
Solar storms are ranked on a scale of "G1 Minor" to "G5 Extreme".
At the lower end of the scape, the US Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) says minor storms can cause weak power grid fluctuations and disturb satellite operations.
Weak storms can also create auroras in the polar regions by exciting atoms and molecules of gas to new energy levels.
Extreme storms, on the other hand, have the potential to trigger mass blackouts and knock out communications.
Historical records suggest they may even create auroras as far south as Florida or Texas.
According to the latest SWPC forecast, the inbound solar winds are not expected to have any noticeable impact on the planet.
Instead, the three-day forecast predicts "unsettled to active levels" of geomagnetic activity "due to coronal hole high-speed stream (CH HSS) effects".
Similarly, the SWPC does not expect any radio blackouts over the weekend.
Reference: Daily Express: Sebastian Kettley
Articles - Latest
- Sugar-loving microbes could help power future cars, study shows
- Bulgaria bus crash: At least 45 killed after vehicle catches fire on motorway
- Suspect who 'intentionally' drove into crowds at Christmas parade 'was fleeing domestic disturbance'
- Nasa spacecraft will crash into asteroid to test defence technology
- Astronomers discover fastest spinning white dwarf star
- Malcolm X's daughter Malikah Shabazz found dead in Brooklyn apartment
- Politicians arrive at cathedral for Amess' funeral
- Denise Bryer, actress who voiced Little Weed in The Flowerpot Men and was married to Nicholas Parsons – obituary
- Double child killer Colin Pitchford arrested after being released from prison
- Funeral home sued for $88m for burying wrong body in mother’s plot
- Astra reaches orbit for 1st time on test flight for US military
- Rapper Young Dolph killed during shopping trip in home town
- ‘Their music lit a fire in me’: hearing the voices of three neglected composers gave me my own
- Fashion’s own ‘black widow’: the true story of the house of Gucci murder
- Rugby player, 40, dies just nine days after his wedding
- Solar storm warning: Stream of charged particles set to lash Earth - impact time predicted
- 20 infamous cases of whitewashing
- Chile desert is littered with gigantic mountain of used clothes
- Ronnie Wilson: Musician who brought groove to many funk hits
- Canada floods: Emergency services rescue hundreds trapped in cars in British Columbia
- Best-selling author Wilbur Smith dies
- Russia responds after debris from explosion caused emergency at International Space Station
- Three people stung to death as storms in Egypt wash scorpions and snakes into the streets
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Mass grave discovered in Japan with bodies buried in circular holes
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”