Anthony Johnson dead: Lethal Weapon star dies aged 55 after being found lifeless in a shop
Anthony 'AJ' Johnson, 55, was reportedly found lifeless in a Los Angeles store and was rushed to hospital where he was later pronounced dead, his nephew told TMZ. Johnson was best known for his roles in House Party and Friday, and for starring in the Lethal Weapon franchise.
His acting career took off in the 90s and he went on to perform as a stand-up comedian.
The star appeared in movies including Lethal Weapon 3 and Menace II Society, before his most famous role playing Ezal in the 1995 comedy Friday alongside Ice Cube and Chris Tucker.
It was rumoured that AJ had been set to reprise his role in the upcoming movie Last Friday, the fourth and final instalment in the franchise.
Johnson also starred in a number of rap videos including Dr Dre's Dre Day, where he played Sleazy-E, a parody of Eazy-E.
His death comes just months after fellow Friday star Tommy "Tiny" Lister died aged 62.
Tiny - the nickname he was ironically given at 6'5" - was best known for appearing as Deebo in the box office smash.
© MIRRORPIX Anthony johnson dead death lethal weapon actor dead death health news latest update
The star was found "unconscious" in his Los Angeles apartment in December 2020 and died at the scene after previously battling Covid.
Tommy's manager, Cindy Cowan, revealed he had been struggling to breathe just days before his death.
She explained that the actor had already tested positive for Covid earlier last year.
Cindy told People: "He thought maybe his diabetes was starting to kick up because he just wasn't feeling right. He said, 'I feel like I'm getting Covid again.'"
However, after a few days, Cindy said Tommy was still "having a hard time breathing," and she notified him he may need to get tested.
As well as acting, Johnson also had a successful stand-up career, performing all over Los Angeles.
Tributes flooded social media after the news broke, with comedian Rickey Smiley sharing a photo tribute to the star among the first messages.
Producer Swiff D added: "RIP AJ Johnson (Ezell). Hands down one of the funniest dudes EVER."
ESPN's Marcus Spears wrote: "Rest well #AJJohnson thank you for the laughs and your Talent Fam!! You will always be 'EZAL'."
Comedian DL Hughey commented: "Damn!!! RIP."
While fans also mourned the loss of the star as they shared their condolences online.
@Monaliza_kc wrote: "We're losing all our greats."
@Celticsfan commented: "This is sad. Anthony Johnson, best known for his roles in House Party and Friday, has died."
@Mzgrs remarked: "Aw. I liked him."
Reference: Holly Fleet: Daily Express
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2