Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
Richard E Grant has said his heart is broken following the death of his wife of 35 years on Thursday night.
The actor, best known for films including Withnail And I and Can you Ever Forgive Me?, said that Joan Washington, a voice coach, had died at the age of 71.
He did not give a cause of death.
Grant, 64, shared a video of them dancing together on his social media accounts, where he wrote: "ONLY YOU! Joan - Love of my Life & Giver of Life to our daughter Olivia.
"Our hearts are broken with the loss of your Life last night. 35 years married & 38 together.
"To be truly known and seen by you, is your immeasurable gift. Do not forget us, sweet Monkee-mine."
The pair met at an accent training session at the Actors’ Centre in London, where Grant recalled that Washington had the "most wonderful voice and huge, sort of monkey eyes".
In a joint interview with the Independent in 2011, he said: "She was wearing a boiler suit and had fairly short, cropped hair and Kicker shoes, and was chain-smoking, which I thought was insane."
"I thought that she was really cute and all that. It was December 1982," he added.
© Ian West/PA Richard E. Grant attending the 72nd British Academy Film Awards with his wife Joan and daughter Olivia - Ian West/PA
They married in 1986 and share a daughter, Olivia, and a stepson, Tom, from Washington’s previous relationship.
Washington, from Aberdeen, had nearly 40 years of experience in the film industry as a voice and dialect coach, working with stars including Anne Hathaway, Vannessa Redgrave and Emma Stone.
Among her early projects in the mid-80s were Yentl starring Barbra Streisand, Highlander, and The Bounty, featuring Mel Gibson and Sir Anthony Hopkins.
Recent years saw her work on features such as The Witches, where she coached Hathaway for the part of the Grand High Witch, and Yorgos Lanthimos' black comedy The Favourite, where she worked with Stone.
Grant’s social media posts prompted condolences and messages of support from his followers.
Comedians Sarah Millican, Dawn French and David Baddiel were among those sending messages of support, along with actress Eva Pope.
Pope, who appeared in Coronation Street, wrote: "Oh my heart aches for you....deep condolences Richard. She taught me in that very house."
Musical theatre star Elaine Paige said: "It's heartbreaking to hear of Joan Washington's passing She was special both as a teacher & as a friend. Never to be forgotten. My deepest sympathy to Richard & all the family."
TV cook and cookbook writer Nigella Lawson said: "What a wonderful woman Joan Washington was. And how devastating to have to say 'was'. My heart's broken for @RichardEGrant and @OliviaGranted. May her memory be a blessing."
The Crown's Jason Watkins described Washington as "incomparable" and recalled receiving lessons from her as a young actor.
"Joan taught me dialects and accents when I trained at @Rada and beyond," he said.
"I have made my career using accents and dialects. I owe her everything. Such a terrible loss to @RichardEGrant and us all. Rest in Peace."
Reference: The Telegraph: India McTaggart
Articles - Latest
- Fossil footprints show humans in North America 11,000 years earlier than previously thought
- La Palma volcano: More dangers ahead for island after eruption
- Sarah Dash, singer with Labelle, who had a worldwide hit with the raunchy Lady Marmalade – obituary
- Melvin Van Peebles dead: Pioneer filmmaker of the Blaxploitation genre dies aged 89
- SpaceX capsule with world's first all-civilian orbital crew splashes down off Florida
- Anthony Johnson dead: Lethal Weapon star dies aged 55 after being found lifeless in a shop
- Eszter Jeles dead: Tragedy in racing as 21-year-old female jockey is fatally injured
- When A Parisian Canal Aged Two-Hundred Years Was Drained, No One Could Believe What Was In There
- Scientists launch plan to resurrect extinct woolly mammoths in the Arctic
- Home computer pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81
- X Factor singer Freddie Combs dies aged 49 from kidney failure
- Vera Fusek, actress who played the Earth President in Doctor Who – obituary
- Michael Constantine dies aged 94
- Deepwater Horizon: Oysters off the Gulf of Mexico plagued with tissue abnormalities after 2010 oil spill
- Jean-Paul Belmondo, star of Breathless, dies aged 88
- Female kickboxer, 26, died from a blow to the head at match
- Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud dies aged 39
- Daffney Unger dies aged 46 after concerning live stream
- Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
- 14 of the most dramatic scenes as floods pummel New York and tornadoes rip through New Jersey
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2