Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
Undersea turbines could generate a tenth of Britain’s power, according to a renewable energy expert.
Tidal stream energy uses turbines to extract energy from moving masses of water in the oceans and rivers.
The UK is in an excellent position to reap the benefits of the technology as UK waters hold about half of Europe’s tidal stream resource.
Stephen Wyatt, director of research and disruptive innovation for Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (ORE), a sustainable energy research company, said the 2020s could be a “golden decade” for the science.
He told The Independent: “Tidal stream technologies are proven and on the cusp of commercialisation, with the most advanced being home-grown in the UK.
“One of the appealing aspects of tidal is its predictability. We can forecast tides hundreds of years into the future, covering fluctuations from other power sources – you can’t predict when the sun is going to shine months in advance.
“Ten per cent is a significant number. In a world where we’re pushing for net-zero, it can really move the dial in terms of UK energy demand.”
ORE: Tidal stream is being touted as an important renewable energy source in the UK
Dr Wyatt said the technology could become cost-effective if it receives significant investment and subsidies, and could create 26,600 jobs by 2040.
“Tidal energy is on track to be cheaper than both nuclear power and fossil fuels, providing clean and sustainable energy around the world,” he added.
“The UK has put significant funding into innovation and research and development, and a total of 80 per cent of components are made in the UK. There is huge potential to create a lot of jobs in this emerging sector.”
One example of the potential of the technology is the MeyGen project, the largest planned tidal stream project in the world, which is being constructed at between Scotland’s northernmost coast and the uninhabited island of Stroma.
The site covers some of the fastest flowing waters in the UK, and the island creates a natural channel with the mainland, accelerating the millions of tonnes of water flowing between the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean every day.
The first phase of the tidal array is expected to generate enough electricity to supply 2,600 homes.
Reference: Independent: Samuel Webb
Articles - Latest
- Mark Davies dead: Former Swansea player dies on pitch after playing in veterans' match
- Israeli peace negotiator Uri Savir dies aged 69
- Former Australia all-rounder Symonds dies aged 46
- King Herod the Great bathed in locally made calcite-alabaster bathtubs
- DNA recovery attempt begins on last American slave ship
- UAE’s long-ailing leader Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed has died aged 73
- ACTOR FRED WARD HAS DIED, AGED 79
- Bruce MacVittie dead – The Sopranos and Law & Order star dies aged 65
- UN humanitarian official wants attention on drought in Kenya
- Israeli security forces attack mourners at Al Jazeera journalist's funeral causing them to almost drop coffin
- Ian Thorpe’s ex-boyfriend Ryan Channing dies suddenly in Bali
- Tributes paid to 'funny, kind, and caring' Cardiff priest Father Christopher Delaney
- Hall of Famer Bob Lanier passes away at 73
- Treasure hunters think they've found £200,000,000 in Nazi gold under SS brothel
- Robin Parkinson death: ’Allo! ’Allo! star and Button Moon narrator dies aged 92
- Scientists grow plants in soil from the moon for the first time
- Royal Family: The other Princess Charlotte who should have been Queen but died giving birth at the age of 21
- Former Michigan State F Adreian Payne dead at 31
- The Upcoming Mercury Retrograde Is Going To Cause Some Chaos
- Kang Soo-yeon death: Veteran Korean actor dies at 55 after suffering cardiac arrest
- 'More human remains' found in drought-hit lake near Las Vegas after body in barrel discovered
- Growing African mangrove forests aim to combat climate woes
- Jewell Caples dead at 53
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- The science behind Ouija boards
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy