Nasa spacecraft will crash into asteroid to test defence technology
Nasa is set to launch a mission that will see a spacecraft crash into an asteroid in a bid to smash it off course.
The double asteroid redirection test (Dart) will test defence technologies for preventing a hazardous asteroid impacting Earth.
It aims to prove that a spacecraft can autonomously navigate to a target asteroid and intentionally collide with it – called a kinetic impact – at roughly four miles per second (six kilometres per second).
The collision will change the speed of the moonlet in its orbit around the main body by a fraction of 1%.
But this will change the orbital period of the moonlet by several minutes – enough to be observed and measured using telescopes on Earth.
Dart’s target is not a threat to Earth, and is the asteroid moonlet Dimorphos (Greek for two forms), which orbits a larger asteroid named Didymos (Greek for twin).
Nasa says this system is a perfect testing ground to see if intentionally crashing a spacecraft into an asteroid is an effective way to change its course, should an Earth-threatening asteroid be discovered in the future.
While no known asteroid larger than 140 metres in size has a significant chance of hitting Earth for the next 100 years, only about 40% of those asteroids have been found as of October 2021.
Dart is scheduled to launch no earlier than 6.20am on November 24 on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California, in the US.
Once launched, Dart will deploy roll out solar arrays (Rosa) to provide the solar power needed for its electric propulsion system.
The spacecraft will demonstrate the Nasa evolutionary xenon thruster – commercial (Next-C) solar electric propulsion system as part of its in-space propulsion.
The system is based on the Dawn spacecraft propulsion system, and was developed at Nasa’s Glenn Research Centre in Cleveland, Ohio, in the US.
By using electric propulsion, Dart could benefit from significant flexibility to the mission timeline.
Reference: By Nina Massey, PA Science Correspondent
Articles - Latest
- Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
- Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78
- Ronnie Spector, pop singer who fronted the Ronettes, dies aged 78
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ultra-rare bionic armour discovered in ancient China burial
- Former Neighbours star who played Sky Mangel dies in her sleep aged 34
- Antarctica discovery of ‘warm caves' offered stunning evidence for life beneath ice
- Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
- Maria Ewing obituary
- China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
- Dinosaur hunters find 180-million-year-old 'sea dragon' skeleton with one-tonne skull
- Archaeology breakthrough as 'cursed' shipwreck discovered after 350 years
- At least 22 dead as heavy snow traps people in cars at Pakistan resort
- The Bill star George Rossi died from pancreatic cancer surrounded by family
- James Webb Space Telescope nails secondary mirror deployment
- Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
- Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
- Sinéad O’Connor’s son Shane dies, aged 17
- Bill Bryden obituary
- Oscar winner and groundbreaking star Sidney Poitier dies
- Disney+ star Kim Mi-soo dies 'suddenly' age 29, her agent confirms
- Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist dies from Covid after saying only ‘idiots’ get vaccinated
- Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman dies aged 93
- James Mtume, jazz and funk musician, dies aged 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The science behind Ouija boards
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY