Rapper Young Dolph killed during shopping trip in home town
Rapper Young Dolph was shot and killed at a shop in his hometown of Memphis, Tennessee, and a search is under way for the gunman, officials said.
Police tweeted that no suspect information was available in the shooting, which took place at Makeda’s Cookie’s near Memphis International Airport.
“The tragic shooting death of rap artist Young Dolph serves as another reminder of the pain that violent crime brings with it,” Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said in a statement.
“My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.”
The Daily Memphian newspaper reported that Young Dolph’s cousin, Mareno Myers, said the rapper had been in town since Monday visiting an aunt who has cancer and was also giving out Thanksgiving turkeys.
“He was inside (Makeda’s), and somebody just rolled up on him and took his life,” Mr Myers said.
© Paul R. Giunta Young Dolph (Paul R Giunta/AP)
Just last week, the cookie shop posted a video on Instagram of the rapper promoting the store’s cookies, saying he returns to the store whenever he is in Memphis.
The 36-year-old rapper was born in Chicago as Adolph Thornton Jr, and moved to Memphis when he was two, according to The Commercial Appeal.
He released numerous mixtapes, starting with 2008’s Paper Route Campaign, and multiple studio albums, including his 2016 debut King of Memphis.
He also collaborated on other mixtapes and albums with fellow rappers Key Glock, Megan Thee Stallion, T.I., Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz and others.
Young Dolph had three albums reach the top 10 on the Billboard 200, with 2020’s Rich Slave peaking at number four.
In his music, Young Dolph rapped about being a drug dealer and life on the streets in Memphis.
He recently performed at a concert at the University of Memphis and he has performed during the halftime of a Memphis Grizzlies game.
He was admired in Memphis as a torchbearer to the city’s rap legends, Three 6 Mafia.
Young Dolph had survived previous shootings.
He was shot multiple times in September 2017 after a fight outside a Los Angeles hotel.
In February of that year, his SUV was shot at in Charlotte, North Carolina, more than 100 times — the incident was the inspiration for the song 100 Shots.
He said he survived because he had bulletproof panels in his vehicle, The Commercial Appeal reported.
Memphis officials, athletes and numerous members of the music industry posted their condolences on social media.
“R.I.P. to my friend Dolph this broke my heart,” rapper Gucci Mane posted on Twitter.
Record producer Omen also posted a message on Twitter, saying “we losing too many black men to poor health, racism, jail, etc. already. we gotta find a way to heal and not add to that with our own violence. prayers for young dolph family and friends. RIP.”
In a post on his Twitter account October 20, Young Dolph said a doctor told him he needed some time to himself.
”I never knew what anxiety meant until My doctor just explained to me that I have it this morning,” another tweet posted that day said.
In an August tweet, he said: “Still can’t believe i got to where im at in life. still feel unreal.”
Reference: By Adrian Sainz, Associated Press
Articles - Latest
- Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
- Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78
- Ronnie Spector, pop singer who fronted the Ronettes, dies aged 78
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ultra-rare bionic armour discovered in ancient China burial
- Former Neighbours star who played Sky Mangel dies in her sleep aged 34
- Antarctica discovery of ‘warm caves' offered stunning evidence for life beneath ice
- Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
- Maria Ewing obituary
- China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
- Dinosaur hunters find 180-million-year-old 'sea dragon' skeleton with one-tonne skull
- Archaeology breakthrough as 'cursed' shipwreck discovered after 350 years
- At least 22 dead as heavy snow traps people in cars at Pakistan resort
- The Bill star George Rossi died from pancreatic cancer surrounded by family
- James Webb Space Telescope nails secondary mirror deployment
- Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
- Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
- Sinéad O’Connor’s son Shane dies, aged 17
- Bill Bryden obituary
- Oscar winner and groundbreaking star Sidney Poitier dies
- Disney+ star Kim Mi-soo dies 'suddenly' age 29, her agent confirms
- Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist dies from Covid after saying only ‘idiots’ get vaccinated
- Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman dies aged 93
- James Mtume, jazz and funk musician, dies aged 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The science behind Ouija boards
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY