Russia responds after debris from explosion caused emergency at International Space Station
Russia has responded after the US accused it of having endangered astronauts by triggering an explosion in space.
It said that it had conducted a test of an anti-satellite weapon, which involved destroying an old and long-defunct Soviet satellite. But it denied that the test had ever put anyone in danger.
It followed accusations from the US that the explosion had led to a vast debris field, with hundreds of thousands of pieces of satellite that could have collided with the International Space Station.
Amid fear over what might happen if that debris cloud collided with the floating lab, the crew – both US and Russian teams – had been forced to take shelter in their spacecraft in case of an emergency.
© Getty Images GettyImages-114951190.jpg
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said the test was reckless, posed a threat to the ISS and an orbiting Chinese spacecraft, and showed Russia was developing new weapons systems. A British government spokesperson condemned the test and urged Moscow to join discussions at the United Nations on “responsible behaviour when it comes to space.”
Russia’s Defence Ministry said the debris from the test had not posed a threat to the ISS, and that Washington knew this.
“The Russian Ministry of Defence successfully conducted a test on Nov. 15 that hit the non-operational Russian spacecraft Tselina-D, which had been in orbit since 1982,” it said in a statement.
It said the United States, China and India had conducted similar tests in the past.
Russia, it said, was being forced to beef up its defence capabilities because of what it said were weapons tests by the United States and Washington establishing a space force in 2020.
Moscow said it had called for years for an agreement to stop weapons being deployed in space, but that Washington and its allies had blocked the deal at the United Nations.
Officials from the U.S. space agency NASA will seek to discuss anti-satellite weapon testing on Wednesday during a trip to Moscow, Russia’s RIA news agency cited NASA’s head as saying on Tuesday.
Reference: In dependent: Andrew Griffin
Articles - Latest
- Underwater sea turbines ‘could supply 10% of the UK’s energy’
- Gary Waldhorn dies aged 78
- Ronnie Spector, pop singer who fronted the Ronettes, dies aged 78
- Archaeology breakthrough: Ultra-rare bionic armour discovered in ancient China burial
- Former Neighbours star who played Sky Mangel dies in her sleep aged 34
- Antarctica discovery of ‘warm caves' offered stunning evidence for life beneath ice
- Wolf Moon 2022: What is a wolf moon and how best to see the full moon in Edinburgh
- Maria Ewing obituary
- China Moon rover unveils true identity of 'mystery hut' on lunar surface: ‘It's brilliant'
- Dinosaur hunters find 180-million-year-old 'sea dragon' skeleton with one-tonne skull
- Archaeology breakthrough as 'cursed' shipwreck discovered after 350 years
- At least 22 dead as heavy snow traps people in cars at Pakistan resort
- The Bill star George Rossi died from pancreatic cancer surrounded by family
- James Webb Space Telescope nails secondary mirror deployment
- Labour MP Jack Dromey dies aged 73
- Director Peter Bogdanovich dies
- Sinéad O’Connor’s son Shane dies, aged 17
- Bill Bryden obituary
- Oscar winner and groundbreaking star Sidney Poitier dies
- Disney+ star Kim Mi-soo dies 'suddenly' age 29, her agent confirms
- Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist dies from Covid after saying only ‘idiots’ get vaccinated
- Oscar-winning composer Marilyn Bergman dies aged 93
- James Mtume, jazz and funk musician, dies aged 75
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- The science behind Ouija boards
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 4
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Web Links
- Milarepa's World
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy
- Shakyamuni Buddha or India the 1st “Black Revolutionary Hero.”
- JERRY RAWLINGS, GHANAIAN STRONG MAN WHO CAME TO POWER IN A COUP BUT INTRODUCED DEMOCRACY – OBITUARY