Richard E Grant's wife of 35 years dies aged 71
Richard E Grant has said his heart is broken following the death of his wife of 35 years on Thursday night.
The actor, best known for films including Withnail And I and Can you Ever Forgive Me?, said that Joan Washington, a voice coach, had died at the age of 71.
He did not give a cause of death.
Grant, 64, shared a video of them dancing together on his social media accounts, where he wrote: "ONLY YOU! Joan - Love of my Life & Giver of Life to our daughter Olivia.
"Our hearts are broken with the loss of your Life last night. 35 years married & 38 together.
"To be truly known and seen by you, is your immeasurable gift. Do not forget us, sweet Monkee-mine."
The pair met at an accent training session at the Actors’ Centre in London, where Grant recalled that Washington had the "most wonderful voice and huge, sort of monkey eyes".
In a joint interview with the Independent in 2011, he said: "She was wearing a boiler suit and had fairly short, cropped hair and Kicker shoes, and was chain-smoking, which I thought was insane."
"I thought that she was really cute and all that. It was December 1982," he added.
© Ian West/PA Richard E. Grant attending the 72nd British Academy Film Awards with his wife Joan and daughter Olivia - Ian West/PA
They married in 1986 and share a daughter, Olivia, and a stepson, Tom, from Washington’s previous relationship.
Washington, from Aberdeen, had nearly 40 years of experience in the film industry as a voice and dialect coach, working with stars including Anne Hathaway, Vannessa Redgrave and Emma Stone.
Among her early projects in the mid-80s were Yentl starring Barbra Streisand, Highlander, and The Bounty, featuring Mel Gibson and Sir Anthony Hopkins.
Recent years saw her work on features such as The Witches, where she coached Hathaway for the part of the Grand High Witch, and Yorgos Lanthimos' black comedy The Favourite, where she worked with Stone.
Grant’s social media posts prompted condolences and messages of support from his followers.
Comedians Sarah Millican, Dawn French and David Baddiel were among those sending messages of support, along with actress Eva Pope.
Pope, who appeared in Coronation Street, wrote: "Oh my heart aches for you....deep condolences Richard. She taught me in that very house."
Musical theatre star Elaine Paige said: "It's heartbreaking to hear of Joan Washington's passing She was special both as a teacher & as a friend. Never to be forgotten. My deepest sympathy to Richard & all the family."
TV cook and cookbook writer Nigella Lawson said: "What a wonderful woman Joan Washington was. And how devastating to have to say 'was'. My heart's broken for @RichardEGrant and @OliviaGranted. May her memory be a blessing."
The Crown's Jason Watkins described Washington as "incomparable" and recalled receiving lessons from her as a young actor.
"Joan taught me dialects and accents when I trained at @Rada and beyond," he said.
"I have made my career using accents and dialects. I owe her everything. Such a terrible loss to @RichardEGrant and us all. Rest in Peace."
Reference: The Telegraph: India McTaggart
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2