Ed Asner dies at 91
Legendary TV actor Ed Asner has died aged 91.
Best known for playing the role of Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Asner passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on Sunday morning.
His family tweeted from his account: 'We are sorry to say that our beloved patriarch passed away this morning peacefully. Words cannot express the sadness we feel. With a kiss on your head – Goodnight dad. We love you.'
The cause of death is not yet clear.
Born Yitzhak Edward Asner in 1929 in Kansas City, Missouri, the late star is the most decorated male performer in the history of the Emmys, with a total of seven wins, five of which were for his role as Lou Grant.
'At least 50 percent of people recognize me for that role,' Asner told The Malibu Times in 2015. 'It put me on the map and I'm forever grateful for that.'
His character in The Mary Tyler Moore Show proved so popular that he ended up having his own spin-off show, Lou Grant, which was a drama. Grant also appeared on Rhoda and Roseanne.
© Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo
He is the only actor to win an Emmy for playing the same character in a comedy and a drama.
His renowned performances in Roots and Rich Man, Poor Man, both earned Emmy awards.
A former president of the Screen Actors Guild from 1981-85, Asner was a much-loved and well-respected member of the Hollywood community.
Asner received SAG's Life Achievement Award in 2002 and was inducted into the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame a year later.
He was caught up in a political controversy in 1982 after speaking out against the U.S. involvement with repressive governments in Latin America, a move which he blamed for the cancellation of Lou Grant and also stopped his run for a third term as SAG's president.
He had more than 300 acting credits and remained active throughout his 70s and 80s in a variety of film and TV roles.
In more recent years, Asner played roles in Christmas classic Elf alongside Will Ferrell - and was also the lead voice in the Pixar movie Up.
He also appeared on Grace & Frankie, Cobra Kai, Dead To Me, and provided voices for Seth MacFarlane's animated series American Dad!
'I never get enough work,' he told The Associated Press in 2009. 'It's the history of my career. There just isn´t anything to turn down, let me put it that way.
'I'd say most people are probably in that same boat, old people, and it's a shame.'
Asner was born on Nov. 15, 1929 in Kansas City and began his acting career at a young age having helped found the Playwrights Theatre Company in Chicago after initially pursuing journalism at the University of Chicago.
His first Broadway role was alongside Jack Lemmon in the 1960 production of Face of a Hero and he made his TV debut in 1957 on anthology Studio One.
Asner is survived by wife Cindy Gilmore and four children: Matthew, Liza, Kate and Charles.
Reference: George Stark For Dailymail.com and Tracy Wright For Dailymail.com
Articles - Latest
- 'MONSTER' storm hits Sydney with giant HAIL and tornado warnings
- Meteorite crashes through roof of Canada woman’s home and on to bed
- ‘This comforter of blue’: how Shatner’s blast into space became an ode to Earth
- Wham! bassist, Deon Estus, has died aged 65
- Rotting Red Sea oil tanker could leave 8m people without water
- Ex on the Beach star Chris Pearson dies aged 25 after LA stabbing
- William Shatner's space launch on Blue Origin's New Shepard: When to watch and what to know
- James Brokenshire, ‘the nicest man in politics’, dies aged 53 after battle with cancer
- Perseverance images confirm Jezero crater is an ancient Martian lake
- Work by pioneering sculptor goes on display to mark Black History Month
- Luisa Mattioli dead: Italian actress and third wife of Roger Moore dies aged 85
- London flooding: The most dramatic pictures and videos as commuters left stranded
- After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way
- Bridgerton stylist Marc Pilcher dies of Covid
- Emergency clean-up launched as huge oil spill kills wildlife and closes beaches in California
- Tributes paid as former head of Royal Marines 'takes own life' aged 54
- Controversial French tycoon and former minister Bernard Tapie dies at 78
- Marie Antoinette's secret love 'affair' with Swedish count revealed by x-ray technology
- Rare images revealing 19th century China set to fetch £20,000
- Alan Lancaster death: Status Quo founding bassist dies aged 72
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition - 6
- Milarepa's World
- Web Links
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness - 2
- The Human Condition - 5
- Milarepa's World-2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV
- Contemplation and the Divine Therapy - 2
- On the Plane of Self Consciousness IV - 2
- The Buddhist System of Liberation - 2