EeHH.CO.UK

We Are The Future

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

One dead and ten stranded as wildfire rages across southern Turkey

At least one person has died and ten people have been stranded after wildfires blazed across southern Turkey, near the resort city of Antalya.

Bekir Pakdemirli, the Turkish agriculture minister, said that around 400 firefighters, a plane and 19 helicopters had been sent to the town of Manavgat and the surrounding area to tackle the fires.

Mr Pakdemirli said an 82-year-old man was found dead during the evacuation of the district of Kepezbeleni, ten miles north-east of Manavgat, and that ten people were stranded at the nearby Oymapinar dam.

Rescue units were on their way to the stranded people, he said, while several people have been injured.

a view of a city: an aerial view of the fire that broke out in Manavgat district of Turkey's Antalya

Authorities in Turkey have evacuated 18 villages and districts in Antalya, while 16 more villages were evacuated in the neighbouring provinces of Adana and Mersin.

Television footage showed burnt residential buildings and people fleeing across fields as firefighters backed by helicopters battled to extinguish the fires.

a sunset over a fire: Smoke and flames rise after a forest fire broke out

“It’s an unbelievably bad sight. We literally didn’t even realize what we were in,” Şükrü Sözen, the mayor of Manavgat, said in an interview with CNN Turkey, adding that offices and residential buildings had burned down. 

It was not immediately clear whether the fires had reached the resort of Antalya, which is popular with British holidaymakers.

a man standing next to a truck: Fires - Orhan Cicek/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

It comes just a week after Turkey's northeastern province was struck by severe flooding which led to scenes of cars floating down streets and dozens of evacuations. 

Speaking on Wednesday when the fires first broke out, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erodgan said "all necessary support will be given to our citizens who have suffered from the fire". 

He added that an investigation had been launched into the cause of the fire. 

Reference: The Telegraph: James Rothwell 

Login

Login

BREAKING NEWS FEEDS -TOP STORIES

All: BreakingNews.ie

Ireland's premier breaking news website providing up to the minute news and sports reports. With e-mail news releases following breaking stories throughout the day.

Who's On Line

We have 160 guests and 3 members online

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.

Ok
X

Right Click

No right click