Philip helped design modified Land Rover which will carry his coffin
The Duke of Edinburgh’s coffin will be transported in a ceremonial procession to his funeral on a Land Rover he helped to design.
It is a fitting tribute to Philip – the nation’s longest consort – who was known for his practical skills and his enduring interest in design and engineering.
The purpose-built Land Rover was specially modified to carry a coffin – in a project that the duke helped with many years ago.
The vehicle is believed to be a modified Defender 130 Gun Bus, which was commissioned in 2005.
In 2016, Foley Specialist Vehicles said it delivered a totally rebuilt Gun Bus to Philip for use on his estates.
It was made to his specifications in traditional deep bronze green, and built onto a galvanised chassis and hand-built rear body.
The Land Rover will process slowly through the grounds of Windsor Castle ahead of the duke’s funeral on Saturday at St George’s Chapel.
A bearer party from the Grenadier Guards will place the coffin on the Land Rover at the state entrance of the castle, before the vehicle begins the eight-minute journey – at walking pace – to the west steps of the chapel.
It will be flanked by pall bearers reflecting the duke’s special relationships with the military – the Royal Marines, Regiments, Corps and Air Stations.
Immediately behind the Land Rover, the Prince of Wales and other members of the royal family, likely to be the duke’s other children and some of his grandchildren, will proceed on foot.
The Land Rover’s poignant role in the funeral proceedings always formed part of Operation Forth Bridge – the codename given to the plans following Philip’s death.
But before the pandemic, it was planned the vehicle would transport the duke’s coffin from Wellington Arch in central London to Windsor, and travel up the Long Walk, with members of the royal family joining the procession part way and walking through Windsor town centre to the castle.
All public elements of the funeral have been removed – including large-scale processions through London and Windsor – so as not to draw crowds during the coronavirus crisis.
A Palace spokesman said: “The duke had a great interest in design so that is where the involvement of the Land Rover comes from.
“The Land Rover was very much part of the original plans as approved by the duke.”
A senior Palace official added: “The Duke of Edinburgh had a hand many years ago in the design of these vehicles.”
The official added that there were two Land Rovers for “belt and braces”.
Following the duke’s death at the age of 99 on Friday, Jaguar Land Rover paid tribute, highlighting Philip’s “significant contribution to UK manufacturing, engineering and design”.
The firm said on Twitter: “We are deeply saddened by the passing of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
“Our thoughts are with Her Majesty The Queen & Royal Family. The Duke devoted his life to public service & made a significant contribution to UK manufacturing, engineering & design.”
In 2019, the duke, then 97, was driving a Land Rover Freelander when he was involved in a serious car crash involving a mother and a baby.
The car Philip was driving was hit by another vehicle when he pulled out of a driveway on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk on to a busy A road, after being dazzled by the low sun.
The duke’s car flipped over and he was trapped, and had to be rescued through the sunroof by a passing motorist. He was miraculously unscathed.
The baby was unhurt, but both women in the other vehicle had to be treated in hospital, and one broke her wrist.
Three weeks after the crash, Buckingham Palace announced that Philip’s driving days on public roads were finally over and that he had voluntarily surrendered his driving licence.
The CPS later confirmed Philip would face no action over the crash.
Reference: By Laura Elston, PA Court Reporter
Articles - Latest
- PERSONALITY SINGER LLOYD PRICE DIES AT 88 FROM DIABETES COMPLICATIONS
- ZULU QUEEN: MANTFOMBI DLAMINI-ZULU BURIED AMID SUCCESSION ROW
- JIMMY RICH DEATH: AVENGERS STARS LEAD TRIBUTES TO ROBERT DOWNEY JR’S ‘RIGHT-HAND MAN’, WHO HAS DIED AT 52
- JANE MCDONALD BREAKS SILENCE FOLLOWING TRAGIC DEATH OF HER BELOVED PARTNER ED
- WOMAN WHO WAS REVIVED AFTER DROWNING EXPLAINS WHAT DYING FEELS LIKE
- ICONIC LEVIS MODEL NICK KAMEN DIES AT 59 - SIX YEARS AFTER BROTHER BARRY'S DEATH AGED 52
- TOM HICKEY DEAD: MOONE BOY ACTOR DIES WITH CHRIS O'DOWD LEADING TRIBUTES
- SOLI SORABJEE, FORMER ATTORNEY GENERAL OF INDIA, PASSES AWAY AFTER CONTRACTING COVID-19
- BODY PULLED FROM SEA IDENTIFIED AS MISSING WOMAN, 22, LAST SEEN MONTHS AGO
- TRIBUTES PAID TO ‘ANGELIC SON’ WHO DIED TRYING TO RESCUE WOMAN FROM RIVER THAMES
- FRENCH CAVERS ON FAST FORWARD AS 40-DAY UNDERGROUND ISOLATION GOES BY IN NO TIME
- I’M IN INDIA AND HORRIFIED BY THE COVID CRISIS – I NEVER THOUGHT WE’D SEE DEATH ON THIS SCALE HERE
- WOMAN, 55, DIAGNOSED WITH TERMINAL CANCER PLANS LAST-MINUTE WEDDING
- INDONESIAN SUBMARINE FOUND SPLIT IN PIECES, ALL 53 CREW DECLARED DEAD
- CELEBRITIES PAY TRIBUTE TO LATE ACTRESS HELEN MCCRORY: JK ROWLING, PIERS MORGAN & MORE
- ADAM PERKINS DEATH: VIRAL VINE STAR DIES AGED 24
- JACQUELINE JOSSA HEARTBROKEN AS SHE ANNOUNCES HER BELOVED GRANDAD HAS DIED IN LOVING TRIBUTE
- BOY, 12, DIES AFTER DOING TIKTOK BLACKOUT CHALLENGE
- AFTERLIFE: CHILDREN REMEMBER PAST LIVES CLAIMS PSYCHIATRIST
- JOSEPH SIRAVO DEATH: THE SOPRANOS STAR DIES AGED 64
Articles - Most Read
- Contact Us
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness-2
- Cosmic Consciousness-Introduction
- Cosmic Consciousness - Introduction-2
- Cosmic Consciousness - What is Cosmic Consciousness?
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - 1V - 2
- Cosmic Consciousness First Words - V -
- Cosmic Consciousness V - 2
- The Human Condition-Thomas Keating
- Cosmic consciousness - First Words - IV
- Cosmic Consciousness-On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- Drinking From The Mountain Stream - Milarepa
- The Human Condition - 4
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 2
- The Human Condition - Thomas keating-3
- Cosmic Consciousness - 3 - On the Plane of Self Consciousness
- The Human Condition-2-Thomas Keating
- Evolution and Devolution-Chapter 1
- The Human Condition - 6